HOAGY CARMICHAEL - HEART AND SOUL

he wouldn't consider himself confrontational. he prefers to stay behind in order to observe from afar, and once deciding it was safe enough to intervene he would do so when necessary. and yet chishiya hated how rational thoughts flew from his mind when it came to you, including approaching you far too many times for his liking. was it really simple curiosity, or something more that even he couldn't hypothesize?

it was why he wouldn't be able to explain why he was approaching you like the previous day, right beside your instrument as you lent him a fleeting and curious glance before returning to scribbling messy notes into the pages of your journal. he could see conversations on the margins of the lines, and concluded this was how you communicated with the other members of the beach.

chishiya directed his attention back to the piano, seeing you play a couple notes before scribbling back into the notebook. he titled his head in curiosity, surprised you were able to write your own songs as well as questions on how long you've played. surely if you possessed the ability to compose your own music you weren't always like this right? you didn't seem particularly bothered by the fact, meaning you had quite a few years growing used to the idea of lacking sound. a pianist since a child then?

he never learned to play an instrument. of course his father being the man he was insisted upon it but the blond always refused. he'd much rather use his intelligence on mathematics or learning other languages, not an instrument he's bound to forget about as the years go by. and yet he couldn't help but wonder what it was like to know rhythm with the aid of symbols.

he broke out of his thoughts when a light tug was felt on his sleeve, momentarily caught off guard by your eyes interlocking with his own. normally these small interactions were left with no words, and there were even times where you never even acknowledged each other's presence. but here you were, pointing towards words scribbling onto the corner of the page for him to see.

"why are you here?" it read, and chishiya chuckled softly to himself at the bluntness of your words.

"just curious is all."

you stared at him for a moment, before taking your notebook back and writing. just as quick, you were holding it up once more, this time leaving him to blink in surprise and reread the contents.

"would you like to learn?"

he should've said no. learning just one song benefited him not a single thing, and he was already wasting his precious time watching you practice in the first place. he knew all these things, it was the part of his brain that he normally listened to. and yet he found himself taking the seat you had shifted over to provide, letting you guide his hands and move his fingers to the correct starting position. he could feel the callouses of your pads that brushed his knuckles, feel the warmth they provided and the soft brush of your breath as you leaned in close to point towards the notes he would be starting on. it remained even as you pulled away and displayed a page dedicated to labeling the keys and the lines and spaces that corresponded with each letter. of course he was able to quickly catch on, and pretty soon you were mouthing a silent countdown before beginning the sequence.

he was far from perfect, and numerous times he was too slow in the count or pressed the wrong notes. chishiya would find himself furrowing his brows in frustration at realizing he underestimated the complexity of your actions, and hated the small sound supposed to be laughter that left your lips at his struggle. you shook your head, slowing down the pace in order to let him catch up to your rhythm all while adorning a smile on your lips.

finally, much to his satisfaction, he grew the hang of the foreign feeling of his fingers stretching and memorized the melody you both created. he allowed himself to relish in the music that reached his ears and the small brush of your arm bumping against his on several occasions. perhaps this was why he agreed to your offer. to seek the reason that abled you to overcome your struggles. surely he would be able to do so too.

you both wouldn't realize it, but the song in which you composed would not only leave you with the answers to your struggles, but intertwine your souls until the other was able to provide the very thing they lacked.