SCHUBERT/LISZT - STÄNDCHEN (SERENADE) S. 560, NO. 7

each night you found yourself within a crowd of people, reaping the songs you could feel through the atmosphere of the beach and conveying it through sound and pure emotions. with the world you now resided in, the piano in which you poured your heart and soul into was the only escape from it all. the reality of games were you to receive a game over, the monarchy of the beach and the constant string of ringing in your ears.

your impairment was something you were born with, always having a hard time hearing the sounds people sung since you grew aware of the life you lived. it confused you, wondering why people always flashed you such looks of pity when explained why you'd never quite answer right away. how could you miss something you never knew?

weeks were spent on treatments and alternatives, until eventually your parents enrolled you in classes to become a pianist. it used to bore you, hearing only the thump of the keys and feel the creak of the petal. the only indications that any sound was being omitted was the approving smile of your teacher. 'a prodigy' they used to sign to you, receiving only a curious look in response.

you did however, posses a strange talent that allowed people to enjoy your music as much as they did. with your lack of hearing, it allowed your other senses to heighten in order to make up for the absence, gifting you the ability to perceive others with your gaze and feel the emotions they felt. it would settle deeply into your chest, buzzing at the ends of your fingertips and begging to be conveyed through the keys of your instrument. despite not knowing which melodies were associated with what feelings, somehow you were able to perfectly produce a sound akin to their hearts desires.

the first time you saw him was with your back hunched over the piano and your pencil scribbling notes onto a loose leaf paper, tapping against it in thought before continuing the thought process swirling in your mind. his arrival was indicated by the flash of white in the corners of your vision, prompting you to pause in your movements and lift your gaze up to meet his own.

if there was one thing you had learned when perceiving people, it was that the eyes told far more than the waver in their tone that your ears failed to pick up on. no matter how much someone may wish to hide the real part of them, their hues always betray and reflect what was truly being felt.

this man, one you had never seen before, stood in the back of the room watching your form seated on the small bench. his hands stayed hidden within the pockets of his hoodie, leaning against the wall and watching you silently. but there was something about those eyes, so...dark and empty, along with a facial expression that remained blank. you couldn't help but think about how sad of a human being he was.

without a word to him you turned and adjusted yourself onto your seat, pushing away the notebooks and sheets and positioning yourself to play. you took a deep breath, in through your nose and out through your mouth, before beginning to move your fingers along to what this man felt like to you.

he stayed there, listening to your small performance. it was as if he knew it was composed specifically for him.