thirty-four

< August >
< Wednesday 10, 2022 >

{ Ashton }

I was sitting at the table with my attorneys waiting for the judge to come in. Today was court for my case against Kay. My leg was bouncing up and down from nerves. I was nervous about the outcome but also nervous because Oakley was here and will have to watch this. I was livid when they told me they wanted her here. She's too little to understand, plus she's not going to be able to sit still and be quiet. She wasn't even going to be allowed to talk to me. My mum is with her but I don't know how it will go.

It was quiet in the courtroom so I could hear Oakley talking to my mum. She was asking if she could come to see me and my mum kept telling her no. I wanted this to hurry up so I can go see my daughter.

Finally, the judge entered and we all stood. Once the judge had settled, we all sat once again. Apparently, they were on a time crunch today because we got right into it.

My lawyers spoke first, bringing up everything Kay had done and how many times she's left and come back. I did take a look at Kay and she looked guilty as hell. Maybe she wouldn't be if she didn't leave her kid so many times and then blame the kid's dad for abuse.

When Kay's lawyers got up, they had no evidence- mainly because the doctors and social workers shut down the abuse call.

We had a quick break and I finally got to turn around and look at my mum and daughter. Oakley was sound asleep on my mum's lap, her stuffed Blue close to her chest. I smiled as my mum sent me a thumbs-up.

We returned from the break and the judge looked between Kay and me, but let her eyes settle on Kay, 

"I sure hope you get all your facts straight before accusing someone in the future," she told her then looked at me,

"You, take that little girl home and love her. Don't let all this mess up your daughter"

I nodded and thanked her.

Once the jury had walked out, I made my way to my mum and Oakley, who was now awake,

"Daddy" Oakley grinned, her arms reaching out for me. I took her in my arms and hugged her tight,

"I stay with you?" she asked, leaning back and looking at my face and holding my cheeks,

"You get to stay with me" I confirmed. She grinned and hugged my neck, her face buried in my shoulder.

My mum smiled and pulled me so we could leave the courthouse. We walked outside and headed to my truck,

"I think everyone wants to meet up for lunch if that's cool," I told my mum as she got in the passenger's seat and I got Oakley buckled into her carseat,

"That's fine" My mum smiled. I nodded and turned to Oakley who was just grinning,

"We seeing Uncle Wuke?" she asked,

"We are" I laughed as she cheered.

I got in the driver's seat and texted my friends, letting them know we were on the way and that Oakley was safe.

****

We got to the restaurant and got out. Oakley held my hand tightly as we walked in. As soon as I saw my friends, I let go of Oakley's hand and she took off to Luke. He hugged her tightly before letting her go and letting her hug the rest of her uncles and aunts.

My mum and I took a seat and eventually Oakley ended up on my lap,

"What do you want to eat Oaks?" I asked her, picking up her kid's menu,

"Nuggets and mac-n-cheese" she stated then took the menu from me and started to color it,

"I'm glad it all worked out Ashton" Sierra smiled from across the table,

"Hopefully it stays worked out" Michael added,

"And if we have to go through this again," my mum started and patted my back, "You have all of us to help you and Oakley through it"

I smiled and hugged my daughter to me,

"Thank you all for everything" I nodded, "I haven't and I can't imagine losing my mini me"

THE END