sixteen

< Friday 3, 2021 >

{ Ashton }

Today's going to be a good and sentimental day. It's the ten year anniversary of the band and we're heading over to Luke's to celebrate. At least, I thought it'd be a good day until I saw my lawyers name come across my phone screen.

I stopped what I was doing and hesitantly picked it up, bringing the phone to my ear,

"Hello" I spoke,

"Ashton, I just received papers saying that Ms. Blaisdell is taking you to court over custody of Oakley"

My entire heart dropped,

"What!" I panicked,

"It'll be okay. We can fight this. I know you and I have talked before about if this happened. I know you have texts and such to prove she's not as involved" he told me,

"What kind of custody does she want?" I asked,

"Seventy-five, twenty-five. She's going for seventy-five because she says you're keeping Oakley from her"

I was boiling. I'm sure there was steam coming from my ears,

"I know it sucks. Let's have a meeting Monday and discuss everything. Bring any evidence you have. We will make sure you keep majority of custody of your daughter"

I sighed but agreed,

"Don't overthink. We got this" he assured before hanging up.

I dropped my phone right after and leaned against the kitchen counter with my head in my hands,

"Fuck" I muttered, only to hear another tiny voice,

"Daddy? You sad?"

I quickly wiped my eyes and smiled, looking at my daughter who very obviously just woke up,

"I'm okay Oakley" I told her, picking her up in my arms,

"No you not. Daddy you sad" she pouted. I sighed,

"I am a little sad but you don't have to worry about it. I'm happy now because you're here" I told her. She giggled and hugged me. I hugged her back a little tighter.

"How about some breakfast then we're gonna go to Uncle Luke's" I told her. She cheered and I put her on her feet, letting her run off as I followed.

****

We got to Luke's and I helped Oakley out of the car. She instantly took off to the door. Once I reached her, she opened it up and ran in, finding Luke and jumping into his arms.

I was glad to be here. I don't want to bring the mood down with what's swarming my brain, I just need to be with my best friends.

"Happy Bandiversary!" Calum bounced over and hugged me. I hugged back and hugged Michael. Once Luke had put Oakley on her feet, he hugged me too.

"You're so tense" Luke muttered. I sighed and they got the hint,

"Hey Oakley, I think Petunia's in the backyard" Sierra spoke. Oakley grinned and headed out the back door. I wasn't worried about her safety out there alone considering Luke's got some of the best security and the pool is gated off so Oakley can't get by it.

When Oakley was out of earshot, all eyes were on me,

"Kay's taking me to court about custody. She wants seventy-five percent"

"Are you fucking kidding me? Oakley lives with you because she doesn't care enough. If she cared, Oakley would living at both of yours equally" Michael flipped,

"She's going in with the defense that I don't let her see Oakley" I sighed, my hands running through my hair,

"You've kept text and phone records right? I know there's gotta be something to show you let Kay see her and that she denies" Crystal spoke,

"Yeah. But that's all I've got. We don't have a former custody agreement for them to go by. I guess I can go in with the money defense too. I can show that Kay doesn't pay for anything for Oakley" I shrugged,

"Whatever you need, please let us know. We will gladly help with Oaks if you need" Calum patted my back,

"Thanks" I smiled, "I'm sorry, I didn't want to ruin today with this. It just all happened this morning"

"Don't apologize Ash"

****

The anniversary celebration show started and we all gathered in Luke's living room with it pulled up on tv. I was being a little clingy with Oakley so she was sitting with me. She sat in my lap as I hugged her. She was singing along with the songs and giggling at the skits, even though she didn't really know what they were about.

When Michael popped on the screen in a diaper, Oakley lost it.

"Unca Mikey is a baby" she laughed, pointing at the screen. She was laughing so hard that we were all laughing so hard to the point we were crying.

"I not a baby 'cus I don't wear diapers. I wear pull-ups" Oakley giggled, her full laughter dying down.

When it got to the end of the show and we were singing 2011, Oakley and Calum were dancing in the middle of the living room. She was smiling so big.

My heart began to ache at the thought of Kay winning the custody battle and taking my baby girl from me. She can't take the best thing in my life from me. That little girl changed my life. Because of her I got sober and began to see the beauty in life. I love when she runs in my room in the morning to wake me up. I love when she asks me to read bedtime stories or sing bedtime songs. And although it makes me sad, I love watching her grow and become her own person.

"Hey" Crystal's voice startled me as she sat next to me, "Don't overthink. She's not going anywhere"

"Its not definite"

"You don't know that"

I sighed and nodded.

****

We stayed at Luke's a lot longer than planned. We were now home and it is way past Oakley's bedtime. She was very tired too.

I got her changed and took her to my room, laying her in my bed. I quickly changed and climbed into bed next to her.

Oakley rolled over, making me pull her onto my chest to cuddle her,

"I love you Oakley, you know that?" I whispered,

"I know Daddy. I love you too" she tiredly muttered,

"Things are going to crazy here soon bugs, but I promise I'll always love you and do whatever for you"

"Night night Daddy"

"Night night princess"