014- Mischief Managed

Author's Note: Sorry for being MIA for the past few months... I just had been really busy with school and family stuff... I had my exams a few weeks ago and I was also going through a writer's block :⁠-⁠\

*****

Two weeks before the end of the term, the sky lightened suddenly to a bright white and the muddy grounds were revealed one morning covered in snow. Inside the castle, there was a buzz of Christmas in the air.

The students were happily discussing their plans for the holidays. The four of them decided to stay at Hogwarts. Y/N was initially planning to go home but her parents had to leave last minute on a trip to Washington for her father's seminar on some new education policy.

Harry had met Lupin in his office and with the promise of Anti-dementor lessons, the thought that he would be able to fight off Dementors, his mood took a definite up-turn.

To everyone's delight, except Harry and Y/N, there was to be another Hogsmeade trip on the very last weekend of the term.

But Y/N and Harry made a deal to visit the Black Lake and the watch the sunset instead so, it was kind of an upgrade than Hogsmeade. They both were extremely thrilled and looked forward to it.

The quartet was sitting in the common room in their usual spot by the fireplace, finishing their homeworks and discussing what they wanted from Hogsmeade.

After a few minutes, Professor McGonagall entered the common room and walked up to the quartet.

"Y/N, Professor Dumbledore wants to see you in his office.", she announced and Y/N nodded.

Y/N had wanted to meet Dumbledore quite a few times in the last week, but he was either busy or out of the castle. She really wanted to know why Dumbledore would abandon Harry like that.. when he was the one who was supposed to save him from falling. The need for answers was bugging her constantly and she couldn't take it anymore.

McGonagall turned to Harry and Ron and gave a frown, "Mr. Weasley and Mr. Potter, I expect you two to submit your homeworks before the holidays.", she stated sternly and walked away.

Ron almost made a face like he was going to puke and Hermione shook her head in disgust. Harry gave Y/N a pleading look, asking her to help him. And she just laughed at him but eventually agreed.

She stood up to go and visit Dumbledore. The entire walk to his office, she kept contemplating what to say to him. She didn't want to sound rude but she was also pissed at him.

"Sherbet Lemon.", she gave the password and the large Gargoyle guarding Dumbledore's office moved aside.

In the office, Dumbledore was sitting at his desk in his usual brightly coloured robes, with his half-mooned spectacles on his nose. He was focused on something on his desk and without even looking up, he said, "Ah, Y/N. How good to see you.", he gestured her to sit in front of him.

She did so.

"Tell me how have you been?", Dumbledore asked, looking down at his desk and shuffling through a bunch of paper, with his quill in one hand.

"I'm good." she mumbled.

The lack of conviction was clear in her voice and Dumbledore seemed to notice that quite aptly.

"You don't sound good.."

"I am.... upset at you. I guess.", she muttered and rolled her eyes.

Her statement made Dumbledore finally look up from whatever was keeping him busy and smile at her.

"And why is that?", He gave her a generous smile and peered at her from the top of his spectacles.

"Because...." She bit the insides of her cheeks and started picking at the wood of the chair she was sitting in. "You weren't there on the day of the quidditch match. And may I remind you, you were the one who was supposed to save him. Not me. I don't even remember which spell it was until the opportunity presented itself in front of me. My hands were shaking, Dumbledore. Like literally shaking!" she glared at him with wide eyes.