34 - Weeping Grim

— 34 —

Weeping Grim

\\//

Lise opens her eyes to the sight of two suspended shapes—one gleaming-white, the other tenebrous, lightless. Elineal stands next to her, looking down at her face. It takes a moment to realize the woman is in the undermind with her. Her face is lined, no longer the youthful facade. When she rises—unhindered—the woman's eyes follow her; a level of awareness revealed.

'I'm dying.' Elineal says flat.

Lise is more surprised by her talking than the words themselves, 'No, I poured panacea into your wound. You will be fine.'

She shakes her head, 'You don't understand. I am going to die.'

Her mind is still unraveled. She doesn't know what's happening.

'I will save you.' Elineal reaches up, putting her hands on Lise's shoulders. 'You saved me.'

She sounds... Worming into her, a feeling of doubt. But...

'What do you mean you're going to die? If I saved you...'

'I cannot continue. I will not.' Tears arise from her bright eyes, 'I miss him... To think of him is necessary, and I will break. To live means to forget. I cannot. I will not.'

'Please... I just want to save you. Don't do it... please, don't leave... I will save you...'

Elineal shakes her head. 'You saved me. I will save you.'

Lise tries to understand, tries to grasp the threads of her thought, but she is coming undone again. The undermind's current pulls her...

down...

                                      down...

7 Nights Ago

"Mom! Momma!"

Lise peeks out her bedroom to find Seli wandering the hall. "Quiet down."

Seli jumps up, "Ah! You scared me, Lise! Don't do that! It's too dark."

"I said quiet. I'm trying to read here, but you keep yelling."

"I'm trying to find mom."

"I heard."

"Well I can't find her and dad doesn't know where she is either and I just–"

Lise grabs her arm and pulls her into the room. "Okay, I get it, just settle down."

"Ow! Let go!"

What she'd intended to be a pull turns out to be more of a jerk, almost lifting her sister off the floor. She releases her, reminded once more of their newfound height disparity. "Sorry. I didn't mean to..."

Seli purses her lips, glaring up at her while rubbing her sore arm. "It's dark here too? You said you're reading!"

"Well... whatever, it doesn't matter. Mom is meeting a friend from school, she'll be back later."

"She said she would look at what I made."

"...She'll be back later."

"I'm going to look."