21 - Embers

— 21 —

Embers

//\\

Every second spent lying here allows Seli to grow further from me. She feels the time passing over her—so incredibly tangible—wanting desperately for it to do anything but. By the time I reach the next village, town, she'll be beyond the next city. Wading through corpses, so far behind, no chance to save them...

"We can't just stay here! I... I don't want to just wait to die!" Fiiso cries, verging on panic.

Lise tries to keep calm. "I understand," She says, voice rasping. "But we can't just leave. There are fiends everywhere out there. You don't understand."

Whispering, "I don't understand..." bitten-off words he spits out bitter, "I don't understand anything that's happened. Everyone is dead. All the little kids, my friends—I was meant to take care for them, and they're all dead and I don't even know why. All of nothing, just... gone. Everything. I don't understand, and I hate it!" The last words come out in a quavering yell and he falls a raging storm of tears, beating his fists hopelessly against the floor.

Lise remains silent, wishing she could console him, but shame holds her rigid. I have to do it. I owe that much and more. The inevitability of it doesn't make it any easier. "I wish I could explain everything to you. I wish I understood everything too. I have answers, but I don't have all the answers."

"I just... I want to know why! Why did all this happen?!"

She closes her eyes, "There's no reason behind the fiends. They feed. Then they breed. If not dealt with, they will lead to death."

"But why are there so many out of nowhere?! All of nothing people just start dying? It doesn't make sense!"

Silence.

"Why won't you answer?"

"...I don't know what to say."

Shame.