The King and Queen

King Viserion lowered his snout to peer at the deep blue storm dragon, his obsidian scales gleaming with an air of authority.

"And you say his name is?" the black dragon inquired, his voice resonating with the command of a ruler.

"Vaanku, your highness," I replied with a respectful click. The king acknowledged my answer, then turned to his mate, a beautiful brown-scaled dragon who radiated kindness.

She purred gently and nuzzled her mate's throat. "Dear, I believe we should offer him a chance. After all, aren't we dragons of chances and hospitality?" Her words were laced with a warmth that made me smile in return.

"You're absolutely right, your highness," I purred, appreciating her understanding. Her gaze shifted back to her mate, and in that shared look, I could sense a profound connection between them, one that transcended words.

"We are a growing kingdom. We need more guards, should he wish to serve," she continued. Vaanku's eyes lit up at the mention of being a guard, his tail swaying with excitement. I glanced at him, and he caught my unspoken question, halting his tail's exuberant movement.

"Apologies," he murmured, and I comforted him by entwining our tails. "You have nothing to be sorry for, dear friend. You're just excited, I suppose. Have you served as a guard before?"

The blue dragon nodded eagerly, and while the king and queen discussed their kingdom, we held our own quiet conversation. "Tell me about your former king," I inquired, noticing a hint of sadness in his eyes and feeling a pang of guilt for bringing it up.

Vaanku took a deep breath, and I tightened my tail around his as a sign of support. "Oh, I-I shouldn't have asked. I'm sorry," I whispered, regret coloring my words. But I managed a sad smile as I gently shook my head.

"No need to apologize. You couldn't have known. He was like any other king, I suppose. Kind, wise, and compassionate toward his subjects. Although, he was a bit cautious, always afraid of our kingdom's downfall," Vaanku admitted, respect and sorrow mingling in his voice. "He and his queen protected us all," he added, reverence in his tone.

I nodded in understanding. When he paused, as if to recollect the memories of his former king and queen, I decided to step in. "You don't have to tell me more about them. I was merely curious."

Vaanku gave me a grateful look, and before we could delve deeper into the past, a clearing of a throat drew our attention. We turned to the king and queen, who were smiling at us, their love and understanding evident.

"We've decided that Vaanku, as he's called, is welcome to stay with us. Like all in our kingdom, he will have his part to play," King Viserion declared, his voice brimming with authority.

Vaanku and I both nodded in gratitude. "Thank you, your majesty," Vaanku said with a respectful bow, and I dipped my head in acknowledgment. The king and queen exchanged a knowing glance, their love and understanding evident.

"No problem, dear Vaanku. In our kingdom, we are all one family," the queen reassured us. With a sweep of her wing, she indicated that it was time to leave, and we trotted out of their chamber, our hearts filled with relief and gratitude that everything had worked out. Now, my task was to help Vaanku find his role within our kingdom, and he could finally call it home.

◤◢◣◥◤◢◣◥◤◢◣◥ 

I lay on the fresh grass outside, a rare sight in our icy and snowy landscape, and basked in the unusual comfort it offered. Suddenly, a familiar scent wafted into my nose, and I lifted my snout to take in the musk of the tame wolf who had once saved me from the clutches of a pack of wild wolves. A warm smile graced my snout as I turned to face him.

"Hello, Buck," I crooned happily, my tail thumping up and down in a welcoming gesture. The tame wolf returned my greeting with a grin, revealing his gleaming white teeth. He approached me and nuzzled my snout with his shorter one.

"Hey," he chirped, his voice filled with genuine joy. "It's good to have you back." Despite his happiness at seeing me again, I sensed a shadow of sadness lingering within him, something he wasn't ready to share.

"You seem sad, friend. Please, tell me what's bothering you," I clicked, my concern evident. But Buck, the brown and white wolf, shook his head, silently vowing to keep the weight of his sorrows hidden from my pure heart. His reluctance frustrated me, but I maintained my composure.

"Buck, I won't be able to help you if you don't open up about your troubles. If something is weighing on your heart, I implore you to confide in me."

The silence that followed was my answer. With a resigned sigh, I continued, "Until you're ready to talk, I'll be in the mountain." With that, I took off, leaving Saint Bernard alone with only the solace of nature as his companion. Buck watched as I disappeared into the distance, a sense of longing etched in his gaze.

I wish it were easy to tell you, Alina, Buck thought, his heart heavy with unspoken burdens. He turned his back to the mountain, the weight of his secrets too great to share. But it's not. And I don't know if I'll ever be ready to share my burdens with you.

◤◢◣◥◤◢◣◥◤◢◣◥ 

 ~ Days later ~

I flared my nostrils wide, savoring the scent of fear and blood. It was the only thing I craved at this moment. My snarl of triumph revealed wild, glowing blue eyes. Finally, I had achieved it. Those pesky humans who had dared to attack our village just beyond our borders had sent shockwaves throughout the entire landscape, awakening a darkness within me that I had never known existed.

One thing was now certain: there was no place for me and peace any longer. "You will die!" I hissed menacingly into the human's face, relishing the piercing scream that tore through him as my claw punctured his flesh, striking straight for his heart. A wicked smile crossed my snout, and I opened my salivating jaws, preparing to end the life of this pathetic being. "Goodbye, vermin."

And with that, I snapped his neck.

My eyes shot open, and I drew in heavy breaths. Panic surged through me as I scanned the room, gradually calming as I realized it had all been a nightmare – a vivid, disturbing dream that had done nothing more than startle me with a haunting vision of myself. "That could be us one day," my own thoughts whispered sadly, and I knew it was true. If I wasn't vigilant about checking my own mental health, I risked descending into madness.

I glanced over at Vaanku's peaceful nest, guilt coursing through my heart. The torment he must have endured, watching his kin being slain before his very eyes, and all I had thought was... Yes, my mind acknowledged sadly. I let out a deep sigh and lowered my head onto my front paws, hoping to return to sleep. But fear gnawed at my heart. I feared I might return to that vile nightmare. Yet, as I closed my eyes, no nightmarish visions haunted me, and I was able to sleep peacefully for the rest of the night.

~ ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ ~