24

Though Audrey kept her facade of distaste for Alexander, even she had to admit he'd done everything for her. When her father offered her as a slave, he saved her from a terrible fate. When she'd collapsed half dead, he'd rescued her, and nursed her back to health on his own dime. When she struggled to make ends meet, he provided a way to ease her burden.

Despite the mixture of feelings she had for him, she was determined to be happy for his upcoming nuptials. That being said, being a room with him made her want to claw her eyes out.

He sat her the office, his black hair shimmering in the light, his grey eyes giving off a soft glow.

She looked down at her paperwork.

"How are you?" He asked after a moment.

Audrey raised a brow. "Fine. Now regarding your investments —"

Alexander leaned back, his perfectly tailored suit like a second skin. "Seeing anyone?"

God he was so cocksure wasn't he? Like he could just waltz in and pretend they were the same, like nothing has changed? Like he still had the same power—the same leverage over her? And did he? She didn't dare even consider it.

There was so much between them now. Space and distance —a marriage between them. So many things he no longer know about her.

"Regarding the investment," she started again, pushing a paper toward him. "It seems you've recouped your losses. Please pull out."

He leaned forward and stared at the paper, before pushing it away gently, watching her. She kept her eyes on the paperwork, her computer. Anything but him.

He said nothing, waiting for him to look up at him. Acknowledge him. Here he was in the flesh, and where was her gaze? The quivering voice he'd heard over the phone had disappeared. Even her anger seemed gone. Now stood the cold face of indifference.

Alexander couldn't decide if that's what he wanted. It was better for her, of course.

"Audrey. It's been 5 years since we've had a real conversation. Just for a moment. Talk to me."

She heaved a sigh, closing her laptop and putting a stringent smile on her face. "How is your fiancé? Is she having fun planning your wedding?"

He blinked and shrugged. "I guess."

"Well, have you two set a date? I hope you're helping her with the planning. One person can't do it alone," she rambled. "That kind of stress can crack a woman," she grinned.

He was quiet. "Hannah is a capable woman. She has help. Just not me."

Audrey raised her brows at the familiar sentiment. What a doomed marriage he was entering into. A replica of his parents'. But she kept her mouth shut. That wasn't the kind of thing acquaintances said. So she just nodded, and opening her laptop once more. He closed it gently, looking into her eyes.

"And you? How are you, little Audrey? Feeling alright?"

"Better when we close this deal," she smiled shakily, standing abruptly, straying away from him. "Is there something you wanna ask in particular? I'd like to get this over with."

Alexander cocked his head, his brow knitting into a frown. "How is your father? Did you find him?"

She shrugged, her back to his him, her gaze set out the window. A familiar scene. She always enjoyed the scenery.

"My father is fine."

"Then...he came home?" Alexander pressed.

Audrey sighed, watching a cab impatiently lay on his horn. She'd confined her father to a nursing home. She was glad he didn't have dementia. She'd wanted him to understand what she'd done. That she had wanted him to suffer the way she had. But once again, Alexander Remington and she did not have that kind of relationship anymore.

"Yes," she said instead, as the cab finally moved around the slow moving vehicle.

Alexander stood, approaching her. He wanted to put his hands on her shoulders but took to her side instead. The windows were floor to ceiling, but the glass wasn't reinforced. He wondered if she'd done that on purpose to give herself an out. It was like her.

"Come on Audrey. Talk to me. Look at me."

She kept her gaze out the window. "When I was younger I would've fallen for that. I would've invited you to step on my heart, tear it apart and silently blame myself when it hurt," she looked up at him. "I may have a sharp tongue, Alexander but you're truly cruel."

He edged away. "I just miss you. We were close, is that so wrong?"

She shook her head. "You're getting married now, Alexander. I know you don't have a concept when it comes to breaking peoples hearts. But I won't be apart if it."

He scoffed. "I'm not asking you to start an affair with me, Audrey. I just want to know that you're okay. I want to talk to you."

Audrey sighed and said nothing for a while. All she'd wanted to was to be done with him. Close this chapter in her life, and keep moving on. She'd finally felt like it was time.

"Talk to me about what?" She whispered strained.

His gaze softened. "I just want to know you again. We both know...after I get married I won't see you again."

Audrey closed her eyes and the turned around. He was as handsome as ever, the only aging in the corner of his eyes, which was somehow even more charming.

"There's nothing to know, Alexander. I'm the same as I've always been. And so are you. So there's nothing to talk about, except you signing these papers."

He scoffed. "You just want to cut ties with me. Be done with me, right? Because of a loveless marriage?"

Audrey looked over her shoulder. "I'm sorry that I have more respect for the woman you're marrying than you do, Alexander. I'm sorry that you think that your love is what makes a woman worthy of respect and dignity."

He reared back. "I never said that. All I want is to talk, Audrey. Don't you want to talk?"

Audrey sighed, brushing past him, sitting at her desk. "Yes I do. I want to talk about whether you're going to sign these papers or not. That's all I care about okay?"

He frowned deeply, pulling her hand. "Audrey..."

She pulled away gently. "You're gonna sign anything are you?"

She walked past him opening the door.

He sighed and walked through it. "It's good to see you Audrey."

She gave him a polite smile. "It's good to be seen. Congrats again. She seems like a very lovely lady."

Alexander watched the door shut in his face. She was right. When she was younger, she would've allowed him to do what he wanted to. She would invite him to step on her, and blame herself if her foot hurt. His lips turned up and he nodded.

"Good for you, Audrey."