Chapter 5 : Draft Pick

The day for selecting the champions for each districts came and I knew that the things that is going on right now is not a nightmare that will be gone soon as I wake up.

            This morning I do not feel myself getting out of bed, it feels like all the energy that I have is gone for today. I do not want to do this. I feel sad and very weak. I think I should have listened to Dmitri so none of this could have happened.

            Lady Nastasia came barging inside my room and obliging me to quickly change my clothes as soon as possible and get prepared before Dmitri gets his nose angry again. So I wore these elegant, flowing sky blue dress with glitters on the waists, topped with a brooch and dazzling diamonds for my earrings.

            I went outside the castle and a golden-carriage with ribbons and curtains is waiting outside for us. I went inside the carriage and I see Dmitri with two of his men already here waiting for me. Out of curiosity I directly asked him, "Who are these two men with us? ". Dmitri looked directly into my face without giving any impressions, "They are the escorts. They are the one who will greet and call the names of the champions who you will be able to see later." I noticed that one of the escorts crumpled a paper and hid it on his pocket.

            Since nothing will happen, I asked another question, "What is that list for?". The escort looked at Dmitri's eyes to confirm if it is alright to tell me what it is. Dmitri nodded. "The list have the names of those who signed up for the Ultimatum." said the escort. "Okay thank you, but can I ask how many signed up for the event?". The escorts looked away trying to ignore my question.

            No one talked until we came to the center of district 1. Lots of people are in form of circle around us. There is a group of young men in the middle, piled up according to their age I think and they are guarded by the knights. They must be the men who are qualified and are forcedly required to join today's Draft Pick.

             As I went outside the carriage, I noticed that everyone in the square is staring at us and they are all in silence. We walked up the stairs to a platform, where three seats are already available for us, the guests of honor facing the crowd. One for Dmitri, one for me, and one for the current general of the district. As I sat down, the escort with brown hair began to speak. "Good morning people of district 1. We are happy to inform you that Ultimatum – the grand Royal Games has begun! Now, before we start, we will first give respect to the flag of the Goldstein Kingdom by singing our anthem.". We put our right hand with closed fist in front of our chest and our elbow levelled on the same height while we sing the anthem.

            After the anthem has ended, the escort went back to the microphone, "Now, since no one volunteered to sign up for your district. We have to select your champion by drawing a name in the Goblet of the Stars." He walked into the middle and drew one random name from a piece of envelope inside the huge goblet.

            He went back again in front of the microphone, opened the envelop and read the name in front of the people present here today. "The champion selected to represent the district 1 is... Valkyrie Carter". The group of young men in the middle looked sideways and everywhere to see who is Valkyrie until a small amount of space was opened to give him a way to pass through.