Chapter 4 : Ultimatum - A Grand Royal Games

After what happened this morning, I think nothing will stop that ugly evil King from the immediate call for the Ultimatum.

            Lady Nastasia gave me an ointment to put on the bruise that I got. I do not know where it came from but I just had it. I told Lady Nastasia to give me a moment in the balcony to think what I have done wrong these past few days.

            I did not really intend to go to the balcony. Instead, I went to the meeting room to hear what will they talk about.

             Now that I am here, I am thinking of a way how to get rid past these two guards and I see Mr. Milo bringing a cart with a tray of food and I got an idea. "Mr. Milo can I come with you inside? I will hide somewhere where no once can notice me, please? You know that I've got to listen because its about me". Without hesitation, Mr. Milo said yes and we are both going to enter the meeting room. He caught their attention by showing them the food he cooked for everyone in the room.

            While everyone else is busy looking at him, I quickly hid behind a huge mahogany desk with a beautiful handmade flower vase and I made myself comfortable from sitting so I would not cause a noise.

            "Today, I declared the Ultimatum. I know this is not what is written in the law but I think it is the best way to make the princess become more behaved and more responsible."  Dmitri said.

            "I know it is for that purpose, but how would the people from the districts react from this sudden declaration? Some are not prepared for this early annual Royal Games.  And this is not an ordinary one – it is the Ultimatum" A man said.

            Yeah its true, this one is no ordinary.

            Another voice of a man began to speak "Ultimatum is a very unique type of a Royal Games celebration and has a big difference than that of the ordinary one. Since your child is a princess, the games will decide who she will marry. Is that correct?".

            Yes, I still do not want to marry. I am only turning to sixteen few weeks from now.

            "Yes. if she will be married sooner, she might act like a lady, and if the games will happen eventually why not now? Isn't it also a good entertainment for the people that she will become married at the same day of her birthday who happens that that man is also the winner of the Royal Games?" He endorsed excitedly.

            A voice of a woman who is somewhat close to me also began to speak and tells them that she is against it. "What about her age? Isn't it the age where princesses should enjoy their life before becoming a queen? She is still young and vulnerable, she needs to explore and learn some more."

            "I don't care about the age. We speak of maturity that is why I am declaring it now." Dmitri replied in a loud voice.

            "What about the age of the tributes, they are eighteen to twenty-five? Aren't they too old for the princess?". The woman said.

            "That is a good a idea. I am lowering the age bracket of these year's participants. Fifteen to twenty-one years of age are the ones who are allowed to become a tribute this year. Fair enough?

            "That's ridiculous! You are willing to sacrifice even the younger ones just to have a right fitting of age for the princess?"

            "Enough general Rose! I do not want to hear any of your babbles anymore. So let us begin to vote. All of those who are in favor of this Ultimatum raise your right hand." Dmitri ordered.

            I tried to peek who agreed in his idea and to my surprise, almost everyone in the room raised their hand which makes it final.

            Every imagination flashed across my mind if I am going to marry sooner. That means I could never play outside these walls again, that my future husband will take control over and I may not see Black Lightning again and I of course I would not see Dylan again. Oh Dylan, what should I do?

            Something was broken and made a noise, and when I came back to my senses, I see the vase fell from the table and everybody in the room discovered that I am here. My tears slightly blurred my vision but somehow I still managed to speak. "If this Ultimatum is really going to happen, then it shall be! But remember this! No matter who I am going to marry, he will not get anything from me, not even a pinch of my love. Good luck with your plans father!"