25

(A/N: This book is now complete. Thank you for reading book one of Subconsciously Flawed. Much love to my readers and voters.)

In the Waking Storm's last breaths, they witnessed their most cherished friend perish. Anguished and at the mercy of her sister, they used the remaining energy in them to scream and question her for cutting them down.

"I was just protecting her! Why?! Why did you stop me?!"

Both were grieving, but she remained quiet upon looking down at their weakened, crumbling body.

"She told you one simple rule. You are not to fight, even in circumstances like these. She would not have wanted to see you go like that."

They didn't begin to process her reasoning, eyes fixated on the lifeless body belonging to their friend. For the first time they shed tears that ran along cracked skin, and let out the desperate wish for her to live through countless wails of questioning why it had to be her. Her sister, as if taking pity on them, sat down beside the Waking Storm to comfort them. Even as her own heart suffered the wrath of her own grief, she sought to ease them in their last breath.

Their faces were so similar, identical even, and yet they couldn't look at it any longer without feeling something sinister. A newfound desire to dry the life out of her for failing to protect her own blood, and for striking them down before they could sacrifice everything for her.

If they had the chance, they would want to ruin anything this god wanted to protect.

Alas, they say the Waking Storm faded that day, crumbling away and merging with the earth itself, leaving behind only a book of unknown origin which was said to have been lost, or rather left behind purposely to stand the test of time.

For the first time in her life, she finally felt relief.

Kokomi had finally managed to lead her men and believers against those who hunted down visions, and even retaliated against the Shogun herself. She felt like her efforts only played a small in ending the war, but she was exhausted regardless. Being able to end the days of mourning over the potential lives she could lose was more than good enough for her.

She worked tirelessly on taking requests and thinking of her own suggestions for what rules to lay down to the Shogunate when they next have their peace talks. With such extensive research into the law, books and papers began to pile up on her desk again, yet she still sighed in relief when she reminded herself it was nearly over.

With the little spare time she had, she written a letter. Unrelated to the peace talks and unrelated to her army. Her mind was filled to the brim with a new worry now, one she had set aside completely to focus on the war.

How was he?

"Your Excellency."

A sudden knock came at her door, causing her to tense up. She had not been bothered for quite some time, a peace she wasn't accustomed to yet, but her mind raced with potential threats that deluded her. With a shake of her head as if to clear her silly mind, she allowed the person entry.

When her general walked through the door, her tension eased slightly before she noticed the look on his face. It was slightly sour, but clear he was trying to hide it.

"Is something wrong?"

"No," he said, not entirely lacking in sincerity, "Mitsuki has brought Hana back to us."

"Hana!" Kokomi exclaimed her name in a mixture of surprise and relief, "Oh, we must quickly locate and notify the search parties that she has been found, and then—" she stopped her rambling upon realizing further what he said, "You said...Mitsuki did?"