18

'Oh Mizuki, how heartless could you be! I, your caretaker and guardian, try so hard to be your most trusted ally and friend—and yet you cannot bring yourself to smile for my sake. Well, look upon me with scorn all you like, because no matter what, I know you will always adore me the way I do you.'

Mitsuki nearly puked at the contents of the book and pushed it back into the Oni's hands.

"Isn't it just...heartbreaking?!" Itto pathetically tried to restrain his cries, "Can you believe Mizuki could be so...so HEARTLESS?!"

'I could believe it alright.'

"I guess that's wrong though," the Oni continued, "Mizuki isn't heartless with anyone even though he acts like it, but he has such a deep grudge for Niko in this book!"

Just from the poster, Mitsuki had his suspicions that this book was somehow related to him, but to go as far as this was...ridiculous.

"What..uh—" he cleared his throat, "What exactly does Niko do to Mizuki in the book?"

"I could lend you my copy if you're interested," Itto says with a sparkle in his eyes, "I got the special edition with the extra authors note at the end!"

"You know, I am surprised that you read." Mitsuki suddenly comments, "I did not take you for the type."

"And what's that supposed to mean? " He huffed, "But the kids at Hanamizaka gave me the book in the first place—"

'So it was not his idea to pick up a book. Figures.'

"Anyways, I do not want the copy," Mitsuki interrupted, "I just want to know what happened between them that makes him...despise her so much."

"Well, Mizuki's past was complicated! His parents ended up passing away and he got taken in by these priestesses, and the Grand Priest Niko..."

Itto proceeded to explain the lore in a rather butchered manner. The short of it was quite similar to his circumstances which he found annoying as this 'Mizuki' fellow was made out to be the bad guy throughout the whole story.

"Since Niko never takes him seriously, he gets mad at her even after everything she's done for him!"

"I do not think this Niko woman has done anything for Mizuki," Mitsuki says through a grimace of his teeth, "He is reacting the way he is because she mocks him."

"You're not getting it!" Itto huffs, "Niko treats everyone like that! But she doesn't try to stop Mizuki because she's tryna make fun of him! It's cuz she's worried about him."

"Yae Miko would never concern herself within other people's affairs unless to benefit herself—"

Upon realizing what he said, he froze up and cursed at himself internally. He hadn't meant to have said her name, and now it looked like he was projecting...which admittedly, he was.

"Well Mizuki does the same thing to other people. They both have the intentions to help people in some way, but Mizuki can't see that."

It didn't seem like he noticed...?

"I do not wish to discuss this nonsense anymore."

Talking about it any longer might accidentally cause a few inner turmoils to reveal themselves. While he was slowly accepting the idea of having people around him, he wasn't sure if he made the promise to become as open as they were to him. Willingly, anyways.

"Huh, you're a weird guy Mitsu. Guess that's why it's so easy to talk to ya!"

Somehow, Itto took his negative response and twisted it into something positive in his head. He slung one of his heavy arm over his shoulders, and urged him along with a smile.