10

"I know the validity of the rumor, yes." Yae nods with the usual smile on her face.

"Then," Sara begins, "you must confirm it to be true or not."

"Why should I do that? It isn't my job to be debunking or confirming silly little rumors."

"So he DOES have a vision," she presses, hesitating slightly when Yae merely shrugs in response, "He doesn't?"

"Believe what you want."

"Miss Guuji Yae please," Sara clicked her tongue, "As you know, it isn't our intent to hurt anyone—and I just want you to answer me honestly."

"Really, I have better things to do than answer to your interrogations. Besides, I have nothing to do with him anymore—not for a while."

The vagueness of her answers always confused her. Sara KNEW she would never put someone like Mitsuki above the Shogunate—so why was she being so difficult? Was her desire to see her struggle that intense?

"I hope you know...if we find that he is harboring a vision, and even worse, has become apart of those Watatsumi Rebels, he will be punished severely."

Yae raises her brows, but her eyes are exceedingly uncaring, "He would be breaking the law so yes, I expect he will be. Now will that be all? I must be heading off...you know, accomplishing the tasks I set out to do."

Sara squinted her eyes at the woman who's smug grin spread across her face. The nerve.

"That will be all," She clicked her tongue and her eyes fluttered down to the ground, "Thank you for your time."

She turned, shoes clacking against the stone path as she began to make her way down from the shrine. The two soldiers who had accompanied her were waiting patiently near the bottom, walking up to her curiously. Maybe it was the ticked off look in her eyes that she had anytime she finished interacting with her that made them feel a bit more nosy than usual.

"Did something happen?" One of them questioned Sara who merely shook her head.

They had come up with absolutely nothing. For now she would wait and give Mitsuki a chance to return. As much as she would jump at an opportunity to hunt him down and try to reform his views—she wouldn't risk an army starting another battle over a silly rumor. Besides—she vividly recalls the slip of paper waiting for her, briefly describing Mitsuki's location and position in the Resistance—that whole thing could be a setup. It wasn't like it was the first time someone tried framing him for a crime only for him to return to Inazuma City in a few days time. Archons, she was sure Mitsuki himself would send a few just to piss them off.

As for her questions to Yae Miko concerning him, she already knew how she would respond to her questions—she knew why he turned out the way he did—and why he despised them so. Perhaps she was secretly hoping that there could be another reason, a more justifiable one, for seeking out his imprisonment besides slander upon the Shoguns name. Regardless, she would give him some time. Time to return as he normally would, spit his disgust with the Shogunate on their doorstep only to go on yet another expedition.

She hoped that the small amount of trust in him would not be in vain.

...

Elsewhere, Mitsuki dragged his feet towards the Sangonomiya Shrine. The soldiers he passed by glanced at him but he ignored them as best as possible without snapping at them. Honestly he hadn't even realized that he made it back so quickly—and he almost felt nervous to knock on Kokomi's door. Stupid emotions. He tried shoving the feeling down, hoping to fulfill his earlier self promise to avoid showing too much of his inner concerns like some sort of bratty child. Then he knocked on the door once. Then twice. Then twice again.