11

(A/N: Sorry this was late, I had COVID.)

Kokomi stared down at the unconscious shrine maiden before her, an unreadable expression coming over her. This woman wouldn't reply to anything she asked her, only turned around to see her mumbling some nonsense and then proceed to pass out...

"I know you've followed me Gorou," she suddenly says, glancing over her shoulder, "Really, how reckless could you be?"

Gorou, almost shamefully came out from his hiding spot.

"S-Sorry, Your Excellency. I trusted you, but I could never be too careful."

She ignored him, not really intending to scold him much. Her priority was with her. Now, it never escaped her mind that a traitor could be amidst her army and she prepared well against such a threat. However, she really had hoped the occasion would never rise where she had to begin distrusting her shrine maidens too.

"We can question her once she wakes up," The general says, "For now maybe we should keep her locked up?"

Normally, Kokomi would've agreed to Gorou's safe suggestion, however she felt tired. She had been killing herself for far too long, and she was perfectly aware her subjects weren't aware of her spiraling exhausted state. But at the moment, she was not ready to be patient.

"No," she firmly says, extending her hand slightly away from herself and running it through the open air, "We're doing this now."

Her reacting vision fiercely glowed a deep ocean blue, and at her fingertips the hydro power swirled before striking the shrine maiden right in the face. Surprised, she shot up from the ground, wiping away the water and coughing from the stray droplets entering her mouth.

Gorou watched in bewilderment as Kokomi's satisfied smile masked itself with concern, and she stood right in front of the maiden—staring down at her with her piecing gaze. It was a different side of his leader—bolder, assertive, and impatient for the answers that could save her soldier's lives.

The maiden looked up at her, glossy eyed and sniffling in realization. She almost looked like a lost puppy.

"Y-Your Excellency? Oh...I didn't know you were coming for me."

"Fumiko," Kokomi spoke her name quietly and took out a crumpled letter, grip around it abnormally tight, "I need to ask you a few questions."

Quietly, Fumiko brought a hand to her throbbing head but afterwards nodded.

"Yes of course. What is it?"

...

Mitsuki quietly made his way back to his—or Gorou's tent really—wanting to hide away before word spread that he cooked for the soldiers. Which he didn't do by the way, but he was sure that's how they would perceive it. He passed by a number of them who seemed to be heading to the kitchen now, so it was fairly empty when he got back to the residential area.

Instead, what troubled him now were the locations of his..."bosses." Nobody else seemed concerned about them so it was only logical that everything was okay. Even knowing that, a clawing feeling in his chest was trying to persuade him otherwise. And he was never wrong of course...so perhaps it would be worth just asking where they went.

No! Because then it'd look like he was worried about them which he WASN'T. If something bad happened to Kokomi or Gorou, it would just inconvenience his plans to enlighten himself in history is all. It was for his own sake.

He was going in circles with his thoughts, and he hated that. It was like second guessing himself and the idea that he could doubt himself in anyway was like venom to his mind. It would be stupid to think on this again in a few minutes so...