07

"It's just up here, give me your hand."

"You shouldn't be doing this when you're sick, Lai."

"Oh relax doctor, it's just a bit of mountain climbing! Besides, doesn't it just show that I'm actually in pretty good shape?"

Her voice was light and happiness danced in her tone. It was hard to listen to.

"That's not how it works...but I'll say yes for now."

He pulled himself up with a bit of her assistance, and caught his breath, rolling over onto the grass and sitting up tiredly. Climbing for so long was tiring, he could only muster half of her stamina to collect resources for his medicines—and he was supposed to be the one in perfect health.

But it was worth it.

To see her upturned lips, and sparkling ruby eyes that bore straight into the far away orange hues of the setting sun. Her short messy locks brushed past her peach cheeks, a soft wind carrying it away in it's arms.

"Look at that view," she says with a dreamy sigh and brushing back her hair with a finger, "I always come up here when I'm feeling down or sick."

"...Do you feel that way now?" He questions, fanning away his embarrassing thoughts.

"Not really now I guess," her smile grows wider as she turns her head to briefly look at him, "I haven't been up here since we've crossed paths, and I guess I just felt like showing you."

A silence falls between them, a heartfelt moment and memory that they would both come to cherish. It was more peaceful than anything he's ever experienced, and he wished it could last forever. But...

"You're...going back soon, aren't you?"

...

That was stupid.

Mitsuki didn't intend to switch up on Kokomi like he did, but something just flickered inside of him all of a sudden. Even with all his smarts, he couldn't identify what caused him to feel so...unnerved and defensive when it came to people speaking with him. This is why he never liked being around people—why he kept to himself as a lone traveler for so many years. Whenever he was surrounded by anyone he'd have all these foreign feelings bubble up within him, even if he tried to ignore them. That was just apart of his human nature, he concluded, and he'd have to do his best to polish up on such pestering emotions and not make the same mistake again. The perfect being would never make such an error, but with further trial...he'd fix that.

His excuse for being here was to abolish the Vision Hunt Decree, experience history, and go down as a perfect warrior. But his mood could drastically change like it has now, to the point where he could care less about the innocents and fighters of the Resistance—and his mind plagues him with the thought of abandoning them and returning to Inazuma City before the Shogunate get a chance to discover he's there.

He briefly recalls the letter claiming his presence here. Well...if they haven't already discovered his whereabouts anyways.

Regardless, he wouldn't leave...not yet. He despised the thought of committing to something beneficial for himself, then leaving and wasting his time. If there was a reason to leave...a place to go where he'd be guaranteed something closer to his perfection like the Abyss, or hell even those annoying Fatui...then he would drop the Resistance without a second thought. But for now, there was nothing to sway him away.

Soldiers on standby watched him, and apart of him felt grateful that they didn't seem to care enough about him to question the annoyed look on his face. Or rather, maybe they were just used to it since it was his normal expression.