05

(A/N: Apologies for any spelling errors, as well as the rushed chapter. School's been keeping me busy.)

....

"So...you'll do it? If it's necessary."

"Yes, though I'm not quite sure why you've come to me. The Grand Narukami Shrine is no orphanage, but I suppose I owe you."

"I'm sorry. You're one of the few people I can really trust, Yae. His mother isn't doing so well, and I'm too busy trying to find a cure for her. If it doesn't end well for either of us...he needs a place to at least grow up."

Her silence dragged on, the room getting tense. He played with his fingers, looking down at the ground blankly whilst pondering over something. After a few moments he finally opened his mouth.

"You don't have to act as a mother figure, if that's anything that concerns you. You needn't show him any love, none of you should. I just want someone to look after him, please."

"I already said yes," she delicately placed a hand on his shoulder and gave him a soft pat, "So take it easy, and relax. It'll push you further down the path of failure if you don't."

"I already think...that such a thing is set in stone."

....

His hand worked skillfully and fast, jotting down notes and pocketing them carefully inside his open robe. He had never seen such a large cavern like this. Why did those of the Abyss always have to spend their time in such obnoxiously dark places?

He was still stationed at Fort Fujitou, at least for today. He'd leave bright and early tomorrow morning so he had to get in just a little more exploration time for today. Over the week, he had been jotting down Abyss hideouts that intrigued him, ecstatic in defeating whatever pathetically weak monsters were within it and looting the place until it was empty.

A looming presence watched over him, dark and emitting an eerily violent feeling...but he pretended not to notice for now. He immediately recalled that familiar sensation of being watched to belong to one the more stronger members of the Abyss. He had defeated a few himself already—just to send the message that he was not to be taken lightly.

He was curious as to what they exactly were, why they despised humanity so, and what they were after. He holds resentment towards an archon, similarly to them, but not exactly either. They seemed to hate...just about everything. Although he felt some similarities with them, it wasn't like he couldn't find solace in avoiding people and the Shogun and doing his own thing. He hadn't actively tried to go against the Shogunate until his alliance with the resistance...So did the world do something so horrible to them that they felt the need to rebel similarly as the resistance did? Maybe he was a bit too curious about them...

'Oh well.'

He turned back around after a few moments of debating, still ignoring the glaring gaze being burnt upon his figure. This enemy seemed to be more on guard than the others had been, not recklessly charging at him or taking him as a joke.

"Do not worry," he reassured loudly enough for the for watching him to hear him, "I will leave you alone for today. Enjoy the comfort of your cold, dark, reclusive cavern." He takes his leave, feeling satisfied when the enemy cautiously watches him exit.

The walk back was taking a bit longer than he intended. He found himself sidetracked by picking a couple of Lavender Melons, mints, sweet flowers, and more, safely procuring them in a bag that Hana had allowed him to borrow. These were all for himself of course, he could make delicious food with the right ingredients, and well—