21

(A/N: School is finally over. Also, thank you for reading all. ❤️)

"There is something else I want to ask you."

"What is it?" Mitsuki glanced back at Yae.

"I could tell with this little girl of yours but you seem awfully fond of those at the Resistance, don't you?"

"I am not fond of them; they are—or were—my allies."

Yae was momentarily surprised. Hearing it from his mouth directly meant it must've been serious. Obviously they were something more, but to call them allies alone was a step in a new direction. A few months ago, he would disregard any chance that he was in close alliances with anyone.

Still, she could tell he was hiding the truth from her and stared him down. A nervous bead of sweat rolled off of his face from her urging glare and he quickly cleared his throat before trying to pick up speed.

"We should really catch up with Sara."

He hadn't noticed that his brisk walking speed was fast enough to actually catch up with her. He was close behind her now and debated slowing down, but quickly decided against it. Yae Miko would interrogate him on his feelings towards the Resistamce and he didn't want to admit to anything accidentally.

He pondered now on Kokomi and Gorou. It was silly, but he really hoped they were doing well. After he loses his vision, he hopes the two somehow manage to work it out with Sara without having to kill each other.

He didn't want to lose it, truthfully, he was mostly trying to taunt Sara. Perhaps the perfect being did not need a vision, he hypothesized. He was strong without it anyways, so it would only be considered a minor setback. And he never said he wouldn't try to reclaim it.

"What are you planning, Moriyama?"

Sara seemed to have sensed his closing presence and spoke up questioningly.

"I did not think you knew I was here."

"I've grown accustomed to sensing pains in my neck."

He rolled his eyes, but she could swear it looked like he wanted to giggle in delight at being the cause of her annoyance. With little effort, he sped up enough to be walking side by side with her.

"I do not have any plans."

"Really? You know, I didn't think you'd be so agreeable to handing over your vision."

"I do not want to," he admits to her, "But it would be easier this way."

Yes, this was better. If he fled back to Watatsumi Island, he was sure that Sara would unleash her wrath onto the Resistance in a much more brutal manner. He had hoped to ease the blow that she would let loose on them, in his own mushy way...

"Easier," she repeated before sighing again, "Your actions are not easy to understand at all."

"Good," he hummed, "I would prefer you not attempt to try."

"You are constantly scheming. How could I just ignore these changes?"

"I suppose I cannot convince or stop you. Do as you please."

Now that she thought about it, this was probably one of the few conversations she had with him in which it wasn't spiraling into an argument. It felt like they had returned to that more familiar almost playful banter.

"I'm not sure what caused this change of yours," she started quietly, "But if you were this agreeable in the first place, I wouldn't have to take your vision."