Chapter 30

[Chapter 30]

A few weeks or so later…

When Favian departed the forest that day, stating that he would make contact with me when he was free, no one expected him to suddenly appear in my dreams. Like his son, he seemed to have a fascination of taking a walk through my dream, appearing in the form of a gallant prince on a white horse with an easy, lovable smile. I had been kind of confused at that point of time. He was supposed to not be able to read or control my mind anymore.

He explained, after a bout of playful banter that annoyed me, that when I was asleep, my mental barriers would be down, letting him on. That; and the fact that he had a strong spirit link to me. I did not understand the last part; so he revealed to me that the heart-shaped pendant that he slipped on my necklace that day in which he reclaimed his wife’s ring was actually a spiritual device that enabled to find his opportunities to waltz in on my dreams. It freaked me out initially, but at least he assured that he wouldn’t be tapping in on my every dream. Too busy to even be sleeping; he explained to me.

Still, the idea of his stalk into my dreams was to have me pass the message to my Council, that he would be visiting the school a few days later and attend the very first peace-negotiation meeting.

So here I was, standing before the gates of the school, with Leo and Sniper flanking me, waiting for a vampire king to appear before me. The school kept the arrival of him a low profile, trusting –for the first time –that Favian would not do any harm to us or our members.

“How are you doing?” Sniper asked, trying his best to look relaxed when he was actually holding on to his whip, ready to crack it at a certain visiting vampire king.

“Quite well, thank you. I still get tired pretty easily, but I’m mostly fine now.” I smiled back in reply, feeling probably as jittery as Sniper was feeling at the moment. Ever since that horrific incident, I had been suffering from insomnia, or had been waking up screaming from nightmares and such. It had taken a great deal of persuasion for my parents to finally allow me back to school after Grandma Elvie stated that I would definitely be safer in school. Still, it did not help with the nightmares; the sleepless nights.

“You sure you wanna keep standing here? I can help you escort the Vamp King. Just go back and sit with the Council.” Sniper asked.

I turned to give him a look, wondering if his care was really genuine, or if he was trying to play a joke with me.

“You know exactly how much I hate it there, Sniper. Miss Alveron this, Miss Faen’s Child that… Don’t they know my name?” Of course, if there was a ranting partner for me, what was the point of giving up the chance of letting my steam out?

Sniper raised a brow at my rant.

“So being in the Council that everyone longs to belong is a chore to you, Miss Alveron?” Sniper’s voice was the polite inquiry that plainly jumped on my nerves on the Council. During my first meeting, questions so polite had rained on me, when I had clearly seen the desire and impatience for a quick and real answer in their eyes. But no, the Council wanted to take things slow; wanted to keep the meeting in detailed scribing.

“I will tell you very frankly, Sniper, that if anyone wants to take my post on the Council right now, and if that is allowed, I would do it willingly.” I told him seriously, making sure he understood that I meant it.

Sniper faked a surprised look. “Why, Miss Alveron, but you are the Faen’s Child!”

The innocent surprise in his voice was definitely fake, and it reminded me of the many protests that had met me when I tried to get myself out of the Council. Favian, in actual fact, had not anything to worry about the Council not accepting me. I had been accepted without so much a thought after I showed them the extent of my new powers, and when it was explained that Favian intended very much to communicate only through me.