Chapter 6

[Chapter 6]

Coming back from unconsciousness was pretty hard, especially if you returned to a body that was hurting everywhere. It was quiet all around, so I kept my eyes closed, trying hard to not think too hard, or to somehow aggravate my headache.

I did, however, think of the weird dream I had. It wasn’t exactly a dream –more of a memory that went down the wrong line. I was in the train that I took to get here to the school. I was looking out of the window, admiring the scenery as it passed by. With a short sigh of homesickness, I looked back into the train carriage, only to find that someone was staring at me.

He looked pretty tired out, maybe a little out of it. But he was staring at me with his dull, red eyes. It struck me weird –since I hadn’t really seen anyone with red eyes before –but I got freaked out a little when his eyes didn’t remove from me. I fidgeted a little, looking away. But when I looked back, he wasn’t there. That had been what had really happened. I had blinked and rubbed my eyes, pinning him down for a hallucination.

But in my dream –my nightmare –something else happened. When I looked back, he was standing before me. His strong hand gripped under my neck, and pulled me up with a force that was meant to choke me. He brought me close to his face. I could see the scar just above his eyebrow, hiding behind deep brown hair. His skin was totally pale. His breath smelt… metallic. There was a stain on his teeth… No it wasn’t teeth anymore... they became fangs.

“Ashe Alveron… the princess of the dark, aren’t you? We have been looking for you, child of the night.” He said; his voice a deep rumble, almost like the thunder.

“W-What do you want with me?” I stuttered, struggling to remove his hands from my neck, trying to breathe.

He grinned, and his fangs became even more obvious. Something spiraled within me; something called fear.

“Nothing. Just to change you into one of us.” He laughed, and before I could draw the next breath to even scream, he sank his fangs into the side of my neck.

The blackness had pulled me down again, until I woke up back to reality. Back to my puncture-less body.

I heard a door open and close gently, and opened my eyes to see who it was. My vision was pretty blur initially, but it focused quickly to find Grandma Elvie hobbling inside with a worried look on her face.

“Hi… Grandma…” I greeted, wincing a little when my voice was just a little more than a croak.

“You’re awake, Ashe. Thank goodness!” My grandma exclaimed as she took a seat beside my bed, resting her walking cane to one side. She was wearing a white robe with gold rim that clung to her body, and actually looked quite well on her.

“What happened?” I cleared my throat a little, sitting up quickly. My head hurt pretty much, but at least the ache in the rest of my body was pretty much gone.

“You fainted, Ashe. You gave your roommates and her friends quite a scare.”

Wow. “I did?”

Grandma Elvie chuckled a little at my question. “According to them, they were just telling you about Cynus and you just dropped. You have to thank Sarah for holding on to you, or you would have at least cracked your head on the corner of the cupboard that was by the door.” She said, motioning over to where I had been standing just… how long ago?

“How long was I out, Grandma?”

“Half a day. It’s Day 2 in the school for you. How are you feeling?”

“I’ve got a headache, but I’m otherwise fine. Why did I faint? I wasn’t feeling weak or anything. I just felt pretty shocked when Sarah told me about Cynus… then the dizziness came and everything went black.”