Chapter 27

[Chapter 27]

Zane’s P.O.V

Everyone was decked out in the living room, arguing and trying their best to formulate some sort of plan. Noel was a burnt out wreck and the days hadn’t done him well. He hadn’t slept; hadn’t eaten, hadn’t bathed ever since Ashe was captured. I had done a little better but sleep kept away from me with my worry about my Faen. Sure, I had a shut-eye between times, but always found myself jerking back to reality half an hour later, sweating and panting from nightmares of pain and suffering.

Of course, through the miracle connection Noel made with Ashe, we had found out that this time, it was Kenton’s younger brother who had gotten hands on Ashe. The Council Heads had rushed down almost instantly when we called in to report Ashe’s kidnapping. Ashe’s parents had been a mess, and we left Raun at Kaz’s house to keep him away from the truth. Noel’s father and brother came along with my father –a sight that I was strangely relieved to see. Along with Mr. and Miss Arliden, we made the small team of Faens that searched the area for Ashe’s power.

It had been a week. A week since she was gone; a week since the nightmares started. Naturally, Lance found me waking up from the nightmare a few times, and when I spilled the beans, Mr. Arliden told me that my nightmares were the waking experience of Ashe’s mind. I couldn’t help but shiver in fear and worry of what Ashe must be going through. But what could I do at this moment? Ashe would not open up any connection to me or Noel. She was just too weak.

“Think this through carefully, Elvie! This is dangerous, and I will not allow Noel or Zane to go through that without supervision!” Ms. Maxwell was shouting at Ashe’s grandmother; something I rarely saw. The Council Head usually kept their arguments on the minimal, and usually it was only Mr. Rax that found fault with Elvie while Ms. Maxwell kept as their referee.

“This is my granddaughter we are talking about! My next Alveron, and very possibly a constellation Faen! This is Ashe Alveron we are talking about, very possibly the one with Cynus’s spirit!” Elvie stood up, clenching her fists as she held back her anger.

“Now, we have nothing to prove that-” Mr. Rax began to point out calmly, but it was in the wrong situation, since Elvie turned and dragged her anger on him.

“Sure, there is no evidence! Let’s say; maybe Kenton was mistaken about taking Ashe as Faen’s child. Don’t tell me Treyon was as blind as him? Don’t tell me you doubt Zephyra? Use your head, Rax! Even if Ashe isn’t the Faen’s child, she is still my granddaughter!” Elvie shouted at the elderly man despite her age, and almost everyone gave her a surprised look at her temper. Elvie had never really shouted. She had always been kind and gentle –which was what everyone liked about her.

“Still, we cannot let the boys go through all that.” Ms. Maxwell brought the argument back to topic while I sat by the window sill, staring up at the full moon. Elvie and the Arlidens were suggesting that Noel and I make a blood spell to search the location of our Faen. There was a significant chance we could get a location, but there was a chance that because of the blood spell, Noel and I would die of blood loss. Even if we didn’t, the spell would take a toll on our physical bodies, and destroy our immunity almost completely for a span of time.

“You would let my granddaughter die, Jane?” Elvie demanded, spinning to glare at the principal of the school.

Noel stood up to take the attention, wobbling a little since he hadn’t been eating for a very long time, and when he did, it was when he was forced, and he didn’t eat more than a few bites. It was kind of stupid of him to starve himself and fill himself with worry while Ashe was gone, but I guessed he was too busy worrying to even think of keeping himself fit and strong to save her.