Chapter 4

• Dedicado a Carmen Lee

[Chapter 4]

Packing didn’t take long, but doling out the goodbyes sure did. The party I promised Kaz went by pretty well, and I specially brought a new dress for the occasion. Most of the people complemented on the new dress, but I was more caught up with the compliment that Kaz gave me. I mean, it was the best thing that ever happened to me. Well, second best. The best was actually getting into the school in the first place.

The tearful goodbyes dragged on over the last school term for the year. On the bright side, I managed to make it past the last few weeks of school without dozing off. And I got my straight A’s again.

I stood at the doorway, watching as my mum got a little teary-eyed, carrying a confused Raun in her arms. Dad was helping me load the luggage, though there was pretty much nothing to load, save a carrying bag.

“So… I’m going off.” I started, not sure how to say goodbye. It wasn’t as if I was going off for good. It was only half a year, right?

“Oh, Ashe, I’ll miss you so much! You must promise me that you’ll call back home, alright? We’ll always be waiting for your call! And call us once you’ve settled down there. I’ll be worrying unless I hear from you!” Mum hugged me tight, her voice breaking a little.

“Mum, I’m not going for good. I’ll be coming back during the breaks, so don’t be so sad.” I tried to comfort, but my heartbroken mum just wouldn’t listen.

“Promise me you’ll be a good girl there. Don’t go around looking for trouble, alright? We won’t be there to help you… You have to be independent from now on!” She said, though she failed to realize that I had been independent all the while.

My parents both held down high-end management jobs, so they usually weren’t around when I was. I mean, until they applied for their leaves and stayed at home. Most of the time, I would prepare my own three meals, and only get to see their faces late at night, just as they returned from work, and I was preparing to sleep. I took care of Raun too, though he went to a babysitter when I was in school.

“I’m going to be alright, Mum. Don’t you worry.” I patted her once on the back, before I pulled out of her tight embrace. Teary farewell never did well on me.

“Marie, stop overreacting. She’s going to be safe there. Elvie’s going to take good care of her.” My dad said as he walked up behind me. He motioned towards the cab waiting for me, with my luggage loaded and ready to go. To go to the school that was stuck somewhere in the middle of almost nowhere. Somewhere definitely away from my comforting town of Phoenix.

I nodded to my dad, ready to go off. I would be late if I dragged on any longer. My flight would take off without me. And I would be left stranded. Not a good idea for an eighteen year old girl to be stuck alone in the airport.

He gave me one firm, and strong hug. “Stay safe. And don’t you get yourself in trouble.”

I laughed. “You know I won’t do that.”

He let me go, and gestured over to the cab again. The driver seemed to be waiting a little impatiently. I began to make down the front steps of my house, but Raun began to cry, trying to reach for me while struggling to get out of Mum’s arms.

“Ashe! Ashe! Where are you going?” He cried, as if finally understanding that I wouldn’t be coming back so soon.

“I’m going away for a while, Raun. I’ll come back, I promise. I’ll call you, okay? You’ll still hear my voice.” I comforted, but I didn’t dare to walk any closer to him. I knew from experience that my little brother had a death-grip on things when he really wanted it.