Chapter 1

• Dedicated to Jerlyn Hoo

[Chapter 1]

I was at the beach, feeling my feet in the sands. My friends were here too. They yelled “Happy Birthday!” To me as I make my way through the crowd with my wineglass in hand. I don’t know how I came here, but I was ridiculously drunk and happy. I was finally 18!

I step to the seaside for a breather, still holding my half-empty (I’m not much of an optimist) wine-glass. I feel someone walk up behind me and turn my head to see who it was. Kaz, the class hottie, stood behind me with a lazy smile.

“Ashe,” He says, almost dreamily, “Happy birthday. You look wonderful.”

I look down at my strapless, bare-back black cocktail dress that I don’t remember owning. Perhaps I borrowed it from someone. I blush as I turn to face Kaz.

“Thank you. You are… well, handsome yourself.” I say stupidly, failing to ease the knot in my tongue. He merely smiles back, a charming smile. I am ready to swoon when he puts his arms around my waist, his warm palms touching my bare back. I briefly wondered if I was wearing a bra at all.

“You know, we could be such a pair…” He raised a questioning eyebrow as he leans in.

I tried and somehow succeeded not to giggle. I nod and rose on my toes, leaning forward, waiting for the kiss…

Thunk!

I jerked upright on my seat, blinking blurrily. I wasn’t at the beach… this was my classroom. I groaned internally when I guessed what that meant and tuned to see Mr. Sherny standing at the side of my table. He had a book in his hand, which I guessed was what he used to wake me up. I embarrassedly wiped my drool off the table.

“I’m awake.” I announced, flashing him an awkward smile, which he didn’t reply.

“Asleep again, Ms. Alveron? How many times have I caught you sleeping this year?”

I flush quietly and raised both hands, showing fingers.

One. Six.

Mr. Sherny sighed and began to turn away. “Detention, Ms. Alveron. Today, after school.”

I jump up from my seat. “B-But it’s my eighteenth birthday today! You can’t do this!”

“Oh yes, I can.” He grins evilly as he turned back to regard me. “Even if it were the President’s birthday today, you’re still getting that detention. If you’re going to disrupt my class again, Ms. Alveron, a day’s worth of detention is what you would be begging for.”

I groan and sink down on my seat, watching Kaz roll his eyes at me. I turn tomato red and bury my head beneath my book. Where was the wardrobe to Narnia when I needed it? Where is the three-something-something platform to board the train to Hogwarts?

Actually, what I really need right now is just a hole.

A hole to hide this embarrassing face in.

*************************************************

[Later…]

I close the door behind me, dropping my bag heavily to the floor.

“I’m so sorry about your detention, Ashe! We’ll somehow make another party, kay?” Shirley cried through the phone.

“It’s okay, Shir. It’s just one birthday. You can make it up to me next year. Or I’ll consider it done if you make Shane torture Sherny.” I reply as I threw my keys on the table, waving to my mother in the kitchen as I passed the corridor.