Chapter 3

[Chapter 3]

“You have to promise me you won’t tell anyone, my dear Ashe. This is a delicate matter; not even your parents know about this. I promise I will explain everything that happened and is going to happen, but not while we’re here. I will talk to you after breakfast about… your new powers. Just try not to stir up a typhoon or set your brother on fire.” Grandma Elvie hushed as I took her arm, helping her down the stairs.

After the nightmare yesterday, I had finally been able to sleep well, walking out of the room in the morning for breakfast to see Grandma Elvie laboring up the stairs. I felt guilty that she had to suffer climbing up here just to find me, but she didn’t seem to care as she whispered to me.

I nodded solemnly in reply, trying to ignore the power hanging in the air. How could I possible live with this; like I had a sixth sense that would never stop sensing out the power in the air? Did some of this power belong to Grandma Elvie? Did we share this power, or did it belong to me? What is a Faen? Am I still human?

The questions flooded me, but, like a dam on tide waters, I kept my tongue still and gently helped Grandma Elvie down to the kitchen.

“How was your night, Grandma Elvie? Did you rest well?” I ask; the only thing I felt safe asking without spilling the secret.

She gave me a sideways look, a glint in her eyes. “After knowing that you are Alveron’s Faen and discovering your elements, I had a wondrous sleep.”

I could not help it. I opened my mouth to ask what she meant… but we turned into the kitchen, where the small dining table was placed. Raun was already up, making a mess all over the table while Dad was reading the newspaper, strategically ignoring my kid brother.

“How was your night, Ashe? Did you have any more nightmares?” Dad looked up at me over the top of his paper.

“No, Dad. I’m fine now. I slept well.” I smiled at the scent of French toast wafting from the pan.

“Good morning, Mum! When’s it done?” I jumped to her side, breathing in a heady scent of heavenly toast.

“Good morning, sweetie. You’ll have it once you help clear up the mess Raun made.” She laughed lightly as I groaned. But nothing would tamper the excitement building inside me. What would Grandma Elvie say? What was happening? Did she call the school? Did I get in?

I barely sat still throughout breakfast and excused myself from cleaning up after Raun by escaping into my room. Since there was nothing more to do, I checked my phone, realizing that I had a few missed calls and a few texts.

Surprisingly, one of it came from Kaz.

You okay?’ it said, ‘I heard your screams yesterday night. A nightmare?’

Awww… I didn’t know he cared. Kaz was my neighbor since childhood, and also my long-standing crush. Yes, I had been friend-zoned by him, and I knew it was impossible for us but hey, I had to try.

I texted a quick reply before I replied Shirley too, carefully plotting the downfall of the hateful teacher who spoilt my birthday.

A knock came on the door and Dad poked his head in.

“Ashe, your grandma wants to bring you out. She said to ask you to wear your best dress for her.” He passed the message as I perked up immediately. I jumped to the wardrobe with anxiety, quickly picking out my favorite black silk dress. It seemed kind of weird wearing something like this for a walk with Grandma Elvie, but I was pretty sure she didn’t mind. She, after all, had told me to wear my best dress.