Chapter 28

[Chapter 28]

Ashe’s P.O.V

Watching Zane fall to the floor woke up something within me. Never had I seen a friend die before me, and never had I seen someone so dear to me die. My grandfather had died before I was born, and my mother’s parents passed away long ago too. I didn’t have any distant relatives, so I hadn’t witness death of anyone close to me ever before.

Perhaps it was that intense shock and realization that shocked me.

Perhaps it was just that fact that it was Zane.

Either way, as I watched his dazzling smile fade, as I watched his eyes roll back while he fell to the floor, unable to move ever again, something broke off inside of me. You could call it my heart breaking, but there was something more to it.

New power flooded me like a tidal wave, and all coherent thoughts left me. All I had in my mind was no longer the pain of vampire’s blood in my body, but Zane’s death. I longed for revenge, longed to get to Zane, longed to touch him one last time. I longed to kiss him on the lips, and tell him that I was sorry that I left him alone. I wanted to tell him that I was sorry that I tried to push him away. I wanted to tell him that I was sorry for everything he had to go through for me, as well as the self-torture he went through every day watching me and Noel as a couple.

I blinked, and suddenly, my vision was tinged with a translucent glow. I saw the figures, watching me with a slight smile. Where they had obeyed and watched Zane with a serious, careful gaze, they smiled openly at me, as if welcoming me to the family. I should have been scared out of my wits. I should have started screaming there and then.

But I did not.

“Take Kenton and Treyon out.” I commanded with icy coldness in my voice, finding new strength that I didn’t know I had before. As if connecting to the spirits had revitalized me greatly so, I found enough energy to come to my feet just beside the bloodied vampire. Treyon’s lips were stained with blood –Zane’s blood –and I would take no more of seeing it. Zane did not deserve to be part of this mess. All he wanted as a friend.

And I had been the world’s No. 1 Horrible friend.

The spirit I recognized as Elise, Zane’s mother, approached me with a waterfall of tears in her eyes. Extreme pain and sorrow was on her face as she looked at me, dragging her eyes away from her motionless son.

“Ashe… W-we cannot touch them…… They have protection against our kind…” Elise sobbed, trying futilely to wipe her eyes, but a fresh wave of tears coated her cheeks again.

I nodded with strength that surprised me. “Then I have no need for you. Take Zane’s soul with you, and let him rest in peace. I will deal with his body.”

Elise managed a nod before she broke down, fading away along with the rest of the spirits.

“It’s too late, princess. There’s nothing you can do; even if you have discovered your talent with spirits. It is a pity that you can’t get to know your spirit guardian better, since you’re turning vampire.” Treyon began snickering beside me, and I didn’t hesitate to throw him a punch.

It took him by surprise, and he stumbled a few steps away, cradling his cheek while Noel exclaimed my name in shock.

“MY GUARDIAN IS DEAD! DON’T YOU DARE LAUGH AT ME!” I screamed at him with the helplessness to help Zane in this situation.

“Not both of them, darling. Not both. But if you do that again, I will not hesitate to do the same to Noel over there.” Treyon replied me with a dangerous voice, wiping the corner of his lips, smudging Zane’s blood across his cheek.