Prologue

• Dedicated to Jolene Tan

Faen’s Child

Prologue

In this world, there are three factions. Each faction has their own people, their own leader, and their own enemy. Each faction believes in a same God, a same Devil in Hell. Each faction exists for a reason, in word to God’s commands. But God does not take charge. Each faction takes their own road, to be the ultimate species over the world.

One faction of the people took to the silent misunderstanding. They live in their own lives, selfish and cooped up in their own ideas. This faction has geniuses, and has a handful that kill each other for personal gains. This faction turned its eyes away completely away from its other two co-existing compatriots. Over time, this faction entirely closed its eyes and burnt records of evidence of the other factions. This faction began to shun the existence of others, ever the proud, and saw themselves as the only entities on Earth entirely.

Another faction took on a frontal role. This second faction was made to protect the first, and to cleanse the harms done to Earth and the Nature. This second faction quickly learnt to hide behind curtains, silently watching. Amongst them was one brave soul –Cynus. Cynus was the embodiment of strength amongst his faction. Earth turned after his every step and wind followed him like a cloak. Fire hid behind his eyes and water hung around him, ever-waiting their call. He was the one strong man who strode bravely into the enemy’s lair, stood at the tip of the cliff overlooking the enemy’s kingdom and called down lightning and fire. Cynus was found at the foot of the cliff, dead. But his legacy never failed, for he had broken his faction away from their enemy’s grasp.

Their enemy? The third faction. Of the three factions, the third is privy only to the hungriest of souls. The third faction is one which sought pleasure by death, sought thrill by hunting. They prowl the night, and are exposed to the seven sins. With these sins, they feed on the other two factions, slowly gaining numbers as they either dragged or persuaded the people to join them. They exploited the general ignorance of the first faction, and enslaved the people of the second faction.

They held the power of the blood and they were physically enhanced. To adapt to their nature, they grew a set of fangs and equipped themselves with strength and speed. In exchange, they gave up the chance of ever seeing the sun again.

For millions of years, the factions fought. The third faction wanted to rule the world. The second faction wanted to protect the first. The first wanted to exploit the giving of Mother Nature and closed eyes against the war. Over time, the third and second faction rubbed each other’s numbers thin. The first became nothing but ignorant.

The war has existed as long as when God began creating the factions. But, it is not to be said that the war is never-ending. Time has reached a cross-road and this is a time where the second faction holds the weapon to destroy their enemy. The third faction, in reply, has cut down the numbers of their enemy so much till they are almost at the end of their existence. The second faction hid amongst the first, to hide, to nurture help. They drew in power and trained their elemental magick.

Perhaps the first faction appears familiar to you. This is most probably true. Almost everyone you know belong in the first faction. In fact, YOU belong in the first faction, unknown of the other two. The first faction is called the Humans. Yes, you are being protected; by a bunch of guardians who are slowly dwindling in numbers.

Perhaps you are familiar with the third faction too. The humans have been trying to understand what they once shunned. But facts and details are inaccurate. They definitely do no ‘glow’ in the sunlight. They are definitely not ideas of ‘Edward’s or ‘Dracula’s or ‘Stefan Salvatore’s. They are horrible creatures that enslave, kill and monopolize. Something clicks in your head now. Yes, they are vampires.

Now, you know of the two factions. There is one last one, where Cynus came from. At this moment, you must be pondering, “What is this faction protecting humans from vampires?”

Actually, there have been faint references to these people of the last factions. Witches, wizards. Some say they are elemental fairies. Others know them as Druids. Actually, fairies were the closest humans could come to guessing the name of this faction. ‘Faeling’, some called. This is the wrong idea pressed on the faction that lays down their lives to save humans, at the extent of themselves. Yes, they looked like humans and acted like them. They obeyed to human laws. But they hold more than that. They have power over the four elements. Only the most powerful could hold the fifth element, the soul.

They are called the Faen.

And in the middle of that faction, there was a single girl who used to know nothing of the war. She was powerful beyond any means, but she was as the humans –oblivious. Yet, her time of awakening came upon her on her eighteenth birthday.

And she became Faen’s child.