39 - Unforeseen Guest

23rd January 9:45 PM

The reverberation of the acting director's footsteps ultimately receded, and once they had entirely abated, I kept staring at the far corner behind which the quintuplets were concealing themselves.

"You can come out."

According to the statement I made, belated rustling was discernible, and at last, the five of them emerged from around the corner.

"W-What was that?"

The jittery voice and their visages were enough to reveal to me just what they felt right now.

"It's difficult to explain."

While I voiced these words, they all moved in my direction. In particular, Miku approached me at a faster pace than the others, which surprised me quite a bit since Yotsuba was the most athletic of them.

"Are you okay, Ayanokoji-kun?" she prompted concerningly, tugging at my clothes with her fingers.

"I'm fine."

The other four hastened to catch up with Miku, and as they drew closer, their apprehension gradually ebbed away. This, however, caused a rise in their inquisitiveness about the situation.

"It's good to hear you're all right, but just what was that?"

"Yeah, he also called you masterpiece..." Yotsuba quietly added to Itsuki's question.

"What was that about?" inquired Ichika carefully.

"A past matter."

I could be dismissive, though it wouldn't resolve the problem, so I provided them with a short non-extensive answer.

"Why do you know the chairman?"

This was another justifiable question to raise after witnessing this incident.

"I don't. He knows my father, that's all. I would like you to cease probing," I remarked, with which I had not lied.

"We'll back off, but what are you going to do about him?" questioned Itsuki, slightly perturbed.

"For now, there is nothing I can do. Thus, I'll be patient."

A short silence prevailed, and they immediately ceased to pose any further questions.

"But if there's anything I can do to help you, Ayanokoji-kun, tell me," mumbled Miku, gazing at me with a determined expression.

"Thanks."

"I think we should head back now, it's getting a little scary now," urged Nino, most likely referring to the flickering lights.

"Yes, I agree."

"Oh, Itsuki still scared of the dark?"

"Don't mention it, Ichika."

Despite her harsh tone, her body language clearly indicates that what Ichika mentioned was not incorrect.

"You know, there is a myth about ghosts having been spotted in this corridor," teased Ichika further, attempting to scare Itsuki, which surprisingly worked really well.

"W-Wait, really?!" shrieked Itsuki, being too gullible.

Whilst she has definitely progressed in the role of class leader, she has not fundamentally altered. In fact, she had feigned no fear of the dark while posing all these questions.

"Oh, let's go hunt them, Ayanokoji-kun!" exclaimed Yotsuba enthusiastically while both, Itsuki and Nino, were frightened.

"Maybe another time, Yotsuba."