21 - A glimpse at his dark past

A profound silence dominated the faculty room from which Nino had just stormed out. The emotions of the remaining people in the room were mixed. While Maruo simply remained oblivious to what had just happened, the four sisters had varying feelings.

Ichika and Yotsuba were lightly saddened by Ayanokoji-kun's comment, but their concern for Nino exceeded that, and thus their gazes were directed at the cracked door.

Itsuki and especially Miku were hurt by what Ayanokoji-kun had just stated to them. While Itsuki's gaze was focused on the floor, Miku was on the brink of having tears in her eyes.

Despite all these mixed emotions that lingered in the room, the silence lasted for another five minutes or so until a slightly reddened Nino re-entered the room.

As soon as she re-entered the room, the patiently waiting Maruo broke the lingering silence.

Maruo: So, since I couldn't ask you that before, how have you been daughters?

At first, there was simply a brief moment of silence until Yotsuba eventually replied to her father with a smile on her face.

Yotsuba: Oh, it's been great! I've made a lot of friends and we haven't failed so far.

Although she was smiling at the beginning, her smile slowly faded until she was only wearing a weak smile. The other sisters didn't even bother answering their father's question but instead posed their own.

Itsuki: Why did you come here father?

Nino: Yeah and why did you talk to Ayanokoji-kun?!

On the one hand there was a calm Itsuki and on the other hand there was a slightly infuriated Nino, who hasn't completely calmed down from the conversation she had with Ayanokoji-kun a few seconds ago, posing questions. Maruo who was still unfazed, reluctantly responded to their questions.

Maruo: Nino, calm down. I will explain everything, I've come here to talk to my daughters about an important matter.

Ichika: What is it?

With none of them having a clue about what he wanted to talk to them about, they all waited impatiently for their father to start conversing.

As they waited, their expressions slowly regained their normal appearance, however, they still hadn't recovered from the fact that Ayanokoji-kun had referred to them as "just classmates" despite all the time they've spent together.

This was also noticed by Maruo, but instead of cheering them up, he inhaled and then exhaled sharply before beginning to converse.

Maruo: First off all I want to congratulate you for your high marks, especially Yotsuba you have improved the most out of the five. It seems that appointing Yukimura as the tutor seemed to have been the right decision.

At this, all five of them, especially Yotsuba, flinched, and all of them rotated their heads to the side and directed their gazes to the ground. Nino, by contrast, was an exception. Instead of gazing at the floor, she began to speak in a slightly louder tone of voice.

Nino: That was the most stupid decision you could've made Papa! He's a closet pervert and on top of that he hasn't been able to teach us anything.

After those words left her mouth, she folded her arms.

Maruo: Oh?

Although Maruo's expression didn't change much, it was still blatant that he was surprised by Nino's comment.

Maruo: Is that true?

While posing that question he directed his gaze towards the rest of the quintuplets and waited for their confirmation.