8. Project

The rest of the day drags on like any other mundane day. Thoughts of Cate linger in my mind, weaving their way into the routine of my thoughts.

The next morning

Cate just announced that today's project will require the entire morning, and we can either work in assigned groups at different locations throughout the high school or choose to work alone. Opting for solitude, I decided to go solo, not particularly fond of any of my classmates. Surprisingly, I'm the only one working alone, prompting Cate to declare that she'll stay with me in the classroom while the rest of the class disperses. They'll need to return to the classroom for any assistance. I'm torn between the inconvenience of classmates constantly entering my workspace and the awkwardness of collaborating with Cate after what happened yesterday.

As everyone else departs, Cate and I are left alone in the classroom. Attempting to concentrate on my project and push aside any distracting thoughts, Cate initiates a conversation.

Cate: Are you making progress with the project? If you need any assistance, I'm here to help.
Y/N: I'm good, thanks -I respond, unintentionally sounding a bit brusque due to my intense focus.
Cate: Is something bothering you? You seem a bit upset.
Y/N: No, sorry. I'm just deeply engrossed in my work.
Cate: Are you sure? If there's anything on your mind, feel free to share.
Y/N: I know. I'm perfectly fine -I say a bit curtly, still unaware of the unintended rudeness.
Cate: Alright, now tell me what's going on. If something's bothering you, maybe I can help.
Y/N: Sorry again. I didn't mean to come off so abruptly. It's not you; I'm just stuck on this particular question.
Cate: Let me assist you.

Cate walks over to my desk and stands behind me. I can sense her breath on my neck.

Cate: You're doing great. You're a really good student.
Y/N: Thank you -I reply, a bit shy.
Cate: Now, for this question, just take a look at this page, and you'll find the answer.
Y/N: Got it! It's here! Thank you so much.
Cate: My pleasure.

Instead of returning to her desk, she remains there, observing my progress.

Cate: You know, if you keep working like this, you'll be finished in 5 minutes.
Y/N: Actually, I'm finished!
Cate: Oh my god! New record! And I'm sure you're going to have a really good grade. I'm not going to be the one correcting, though. And if it were up to me, you could go to your house now, but you can't, school rules. You have to stay here with me. How bad!
Y/N: I don't really wanna go home.
Cate: Is your mom there? Oh! And how are your wounds, if I may ask?
Y/N: No, I haven't seen my mom since the other day. I just don't want to go to my house. And my wounds are better, I think.
Cate: You think? Let me see them -I lift my sweater to show my stomach- Oh god! This is infected! Come with me.

Cate takes me to a room I had never seen before, resembling a nursery. She gathers some items, and I'm not entirely sure what they're for. She directs me to sit in one of the chairs, lifts my sweater, cleans the wounds, and then carefully applies bandages.

Cate: You need to use this every day -she hands me a bottle of the solution she used- I'll ask you every day just in case you forget.
Y/N: Okay, but tomorrow's the weekend. How will you ask me?
Cate: Give me your number.
Y/N: What?
Cate: Your phone number. If you don't do it, I will look into your files
Y/N: It's **********.
Cate: Thank you. Now, we need to talk about yesterday.
Y/N: What about yesterday? -I feigned ignorance.
Cate: I think we need to finish something we didn't even start -our eyes lock.
Y/N: Start it, then.
Cate: Okay, but first, let's go to the classroom.

I hesitated about going to the classroom, fearing that one of my classmates might show up at any moment. However, we proceeded anyway. Once there, Cate instructed me to sit at my table. Just as she leaned in to kiss me, there was an unexpected knock on the door. We swiftly separated, and to our surprise, two boys from my class entered the room.