Ch. 22: Flash

Dan's POV-

Greyness. My room was filled with it, I didn't want to move, my duvet was too comfy and the world can suck it. But I had to move.

I've been in London for two weeks now, and it's been interesting, a new flat, a new flat mate (Ethan, a college mate of mine), my best mates live 5 minutes down the street and today they want to celebrate my birthday. Three months late. I guess that's what happens when you've been in non speaking terms during my actual birthday. Skye has her feelings hurt and has to make it up to me. So I find myself standing in front of my closet and blankly staring at the abyss that is my clothes.

"What are we doing today?" I txtd Skye. I start pulling out different possibilities. "Depends.... I'm calling you!" Not even two seconds later, a very retarded picture of Skye appears on my screen and "I would" by one direction starts blaring out of my phone. "Why do they have to be my ringtone? I mean honestly, it's my bloody phone.." She laughs, "Because, Dani.. Just because. Ok so, on the subject of today. You need three different change of clothes. 1. Old or willing to get dirty, just bring your swim trunks and a tank. 2. Casual, so sweats and a vneck. And 3. Fancy. Like meeting the queen fancy. Don't forget to tell Ethan that and hurry please." I grabbed every item as she spoke it, "Why fancy?" I pushed to the back of my attire for the "Queen Meeting" articles and pulled them out. "Well, because Dani. I have something special planned. Don't forget to tell Ethan!" I chuckled and walked per to Ethan's room. "Mate, Skye's on the phone for you." I yelled at his door. "What?! You lazy sod!" I laughed at her again, Ethan opened his door, "Tonight's clothes right?" I nodded, he grabbed my phone from my hand and looked at it, sighing "Hello pop! No, I will not stop calling you pop until you actually do!" I ran to my room and finished up packing for today. I'm not sure how I feel about tonight, better be fun though.

Ethan and I, duffle bags of clothes in hand, walked our short journey to 'Pop's and Phil's. Once entering, we noticed a wave of oestrogen hitting us. Ha, well there was four people I've never seen before in my life standing in the living room, three happened to be girls. "Honey, I'm home!" Ethan yelled. All eyes were on us. We walked over to Phil and Skye who were sitting on a lovesack. Ethan, being extroverted Ethan, laid across them, awkwardly, as I sat next to Skye.

"Hello! Uhm, how do I phrase this.. Who are they?" Ethan questioned Phil. Phil's eyes diverted to Skye. She all smiles, slowly got up from her sitting position. "Dan and Ethan, meet my mates!" She pointed to the four strangers. "Ok, names then synopsis." She started pointing to them, "Olive, Andrea, her boyfriend Tom or Tommo and Bella." She did the same to Ethan and I. "Hello!" He greeted, as I nodded my head towards them. "Synopsis, right, Andrea and I have been mates for a while, we met at a coffee shop two years ago, her boyfriend, well they're a package deal. Bella is my best mate, I met her when I was a kid. She's fresh off a plane from the states. And Olive is her flat mate, we've three known each other since kid years. But the real fun is, they'll be here to celebrate your birthday and tonight's festivities!"

We ended up going to their 'backyard', a medium sized patch of grass. And had a massive paint war, Phil and Skye had surprised us first with a 'gift' some article of white clothing. I got skinnies and a tank, we had to wear them for this part. And that's when it all started, Phil brought out buckets of balloons and water guns, but they were filled with paint. To get cleaned, we changed in our swim attire and had a water balloon fight, it got to a point where Ethan and I grabbed a water hose and took everyone done. Lunch time we made a run to Nando's. Then it came time to presents. I didn't expect much since, I only really knew three of them. Ethan got me a new tripod, I really needed one! Phil got me a shirt that had Llamas with Hats on it and a new llama hat, since I lost my first one in the move. Then Skye gave me her gift, it was a scrapbook, it had everything from a Hard Rock Cafe napkin, film stubs, pictures from her show, flights to England, all our memories, screen shots of our videos we've done together, and then at the end there was a few blank pages. "It's for our future, with Dan Jr, to our kids first kiss together, when you get married and I'm crying in the first row, everything." I hugged her forever, it felt like, "You're wonderful." She kissed my cheek.

It was nearly 9pm and we were all getting ready for the final bits of the day. I was dressed in all black, chinos, shirt, blazer and toms. Skye came over to me, she looked gorgeous, she had on a cream coloured dress that ended mid thigh, black heels, her hair was straight, and she had a cream eyeshadow and black winged eyeliner. "Hey, meet me on the balcony in 5, k?" I nodded. Ethan then walked to me, "So, I think one of them birds is quite fit." He slung his arm on my shoulders. "Yeah mate? Mr. No commitment, is this just a 'open cage' or 'closed cage'?" He laughed, "I'm not sure bruv, but it's not that serious innit? It's a fun night though, anything could happen." I nodded, then walked to the balcony. When I turned from closing the door, I saw I wasn't alone. "Uhm, Bella right?" I asked the burgundy haired gal. She blushed a little and smiled. "Yeah. I uh, are you meeting Skye here?" I nodded, "Yep." We stood there is silence for a bit, I looked her over. She looked nice. "What?" She asked. Crap I spoke my thoughts, "You look.. Beautiful." She blushed again. "Thanks." She played with the skirt of her mint dress. Skye then appeared out of thin air almost, "Okay, so I asked you guys out here for a reason. Dan and Bells, I wanted you guys to talk because I've asked the both of you to be the god parents to the little munchkin that's currently swimming in my intestines." I laughed, she's so odd sometimes. "And I want you guys to be good mates, because if anything happens to me or Phil, or god forbid the both of us, I want you to be friends. Not just the occasional 'Hello'." Her grey eyes lingered on ours, nodding we agreed to her request. A slow bright smile appeared on her face, "Good. Well, I'm going to go check on the rest of the group, we'll be leaving in 10 minutes." She quickly left us on the balcony. Lifting myself on to the railing, I pulled out a pack of gum. "Want a piece?" She took the metallic piece out of my fingers. "Thanks." We stood their awkwardly. "Is it true that theirs only mint flavoured gum here?" She sat down on one of the cream cushions, "Yeah. Is there any other flavour?" She smiled, "Loads. Apple pie, fruits, anything really." Lost in my thoughts about gum, I nodded to myself. "Sorry. I'm being weird. So, uhm, give me a load down on you." We chatted a bit, I told her the synopsis of my life, she told me about her American one. The awkwardness started to clear and we were in a comfortable stage. "Hey, we're leaving!" Ethan yelled through the glass door. He pointed between Bella and I and winked. Rolling my eyes, we walked back into the chamber of secrets.

We ended up at a nice lake side restaurant. There were tables on a deck, under thousands of lights, lanterns and other light giving objects including the stars. There was a jazz band playing and no other guests but us. Skye informed me that Tommo's family owns this place, so he got it reserved for us. We ate a fancy meal, danced and dipped our toes in the lake.

"Ok, Dan and Bella, come here real quick!" Skye called us over to the shallow side of the lake, she and Phil were standing on some boulders. "So, the actual reason we wanted you to dress up is..." She started and then looked at Phil, "we want to take pre-baby family pictures." He finished off.

Ethan came up with his camera, a fancy Nikon and placed us where he wanted. We took, I'm not even kidding, 200 pictures. Skye had to make sure they were perfect. The last few being of her and Phil, Phil and I, she and I, she and Bella, Bella and Phil, and finally Bella and I.

"This our new family." Bella spoke, smile still intact for the picture. "Yeah, but it always has been." I added. And then the flash of the camera came.