8

Proving the impossible

Kara sat up in her bed, then she thought of the conversation she heard. She heard Maverick was grounded. She sighed. "What is he thinking, the mission is a few days from now."  Kara thought when she heard Cyclone talk at Maverick.

Then she stomped her foot against the ground, "I can't let this happen." She said to herself. She laid back on her bed, "I need to come up with up plan." She said as she began to ponder then something came to mind, but it had to wait until the next morning.

............

The morning came, she had immediately texted Maverick. "Hi.. I know you are surprised that I am texting you. I know Cyclone grounded you but I can't let him take us down the route to death." She sent the text. A couple minutes later. "Red... what are you going to do?" He texted back. "Saving your ass and proving what you taught us will work for the mission." She sent back as she headed to locker room and got on  her gear.

Maverick smiled. "She's like her father." He said to himself. "Be careful Red and Good luck... also I will take the blame." He sent her.

She shook her head. "Of course you will Fossil, you always took the blame for Rooster and I... thank you."  She sent and she smiled. For the first time, she felt no anger towards him.  

He shook his head. "Don't call me that, Red." Maverick said.  "Never, or do you want Old man, take your pick." Red said as she giggled sending that text. 

"I think I prefer Fossil." He sent back. "Good choice..." Red sent.

"We need to catch up... the three of us." Maverick sent. She smiled. "That we do... it's been to long... Iceman would agree." Red said. Maverick smiled at the mentioning of Iceman. 

He had always had guided the Redhead.

She looked at her helmet, "Let's do this." She said as she walked to her plane.

.............

"Captain Mitchell is no longer your instructor and as of today there are new mission parameters. Time to target is now Four minutes. You'll be entering the valley level at reduced speed, not to exceed 420 knots." Cyclone said to everyone. Everyone looked at each other. Rooster, Bob, Phoenix and Coyote noticed  Red was missing.

"Sir, won't we be giving their planes time to intercept." Bob asked. "Well lieutenant you have a fighting chance against enemy aircraft. What are the odds of surviving a head on collusion with a mountain. You'll be attacking the target from a higher altitude level with a north wall. It's gonna be little harder to keep your laser on target but you will avoid the high g climb out." Cyclone said. "Out here sitting ducks for the enemy's missiles." Fanboy said.

An F-18 appeared on the screen which caught everyone's attention. "Who the hell is that?" Cyclone questioned.

"Red to range control, entering point alpha, confirm green range." Red said on the radio. Everyone's eyes widen. "That's where she went." Bob said. "This is Red, always going to do something rebellious." Phoenix said 

"Uh Red, range control, uh green range is confirmed... I don't see an event scheduled for you." Red smiled a bit. "Well, I'm going anyways." Red said. "Nice." Phoenix muttered. 

"Setting time to target, Two minutes and fifteen seconds." Red called out. "2:15 that's impossible." Payback said. "This is Red we are talking about here, she'll make it possible." Phoenix said. "Red is always out here proving the impossible." Coyote said. "She's crazy." Fritz said. "But she's our crazy Red." Hangman said. Coyote smiled  a bit. She was his crazy Red as well.

"File attack point, Red Inbound." Red said. "Alright dad, i'm doing, your not here to stop me." She said as she pulled the plane down

The time started.

"Alright alright alright." Red said as she did the course. "Iceman has much determination for me... so does Maverick.... I can't fail this... I have to succeed." Red muttered.

Then it hit thirty seconds on the time, everyone was tensed at this time. Red closed her eyes for moment then opened them back up, she took a breath. "Popping, in three, two one!" Red said as she pulled the plane up.

Red focused on getting a sight on the target. Everybody was on the edge of their seat. "Come on Red blossom." Rooster muttered. "Come on." Coyote muttered.

Red got sight of the target, smirked and got a lock on the target. She dropped the missiles. "BOMBS AWAY!" She shouted as she pulled up.

Red groaned as she felt the force hitting her, Red kept an eye on the target. "Come on, Come on, Come on." She muttered as she wasn't trying to black out like she did that one day, then she got a direct hit, with sixteen seconds to spare. "Bullseye, holy shit!" Fanboy exclaimed as he jumped out of his seat. Rooster leaned ahead, Coyote sighed in relief

"Damn." Hangman all could say. "She did it." Payback said.

Red took off her mask, Then tears streamed down her cheeks. "I did it." She said as she sobbed. "Dad, I did it." She said as she flew her plane back to base. Everyone heart stung. 

"Call Maverick to my office." Cyclone announced as he walked out of the office. 

.............

"You are declining the leader position?" Cyclone questioned Maverick. "I am not the one who prove it, Red was." Maverick said. "But you taught her." Cyclone said. "and She showed you." Maverick said. 

Cyclone sighed. "She's got Wolf's spirit and Robin's Grace." Cyclone said and Maverick nodded.

"I'm declining the mission leader spot because I didn't earn it... Red did, I taught her and she show everyone that this course, is possible and will work for this mission. Red is a hell of a pilot, many younger pilots look up to her, What i'm saying, Red should be mission leader." Maverick said.

"That I won't argue with, even thought what she did was not acceptable. But she did prove that this course will work, besides she's a perfect choice."