I Realize I Am An Instigator. . .

Unedited, read at your own risk!! And sorry about the lack of updates recently, I kinda hit a block and I've been super busy with school and everything. I have most of the story planned out from here, but if you have any suggestions or requests I'll totally think about it! Love this chapter or hate it, thanks! XOXO

"I'm sorry, what?!" I asked in disbelief. 

"For once, I agree with Caroline!" shouted Jared, who was rarely upset. 

"I'm not working with the leeches!" 

"You have to be joking Sam!" 

Sam's eye twitched before he yelled, "Silence!" The Alpha command riddled the pack mute as we all glared at Sam while he cleared his throat. "We are going to work with the Cullens" he emphasized, "because there's a group of Newborn vampires running rampant. They're coming here to kill Bella." There was silence.

"It's the Cullens' problem, we should let them solve it," said Leah, her arms crossed as she leaned against the doorframe. The rest of us were scattered on various armchairs and couches throughout the living room.

"We have to protect the humans Leah-" started Seth, blinking up at his sister with his large eyes. "If the vampires are-"

"Shut up Seth," Leah hissed.

"Leave him alone Leah!" shouted Paul angrily, stomping up to her.

"Hey!" barked Sam. "We are working with the Cullens tonight. They're going to teach us how to combat the Newborns." Sam turned to me. "And you'll be the liaison."

"Aw fuck! That's not fair!" 

"Language!" Emily said from the kitchen, throwing a spatula. I easily caught it, tossing it between two hands.

"I always have to interact!" I whined, sliding off the couch and onto the carpeted floor. Sam ignored me while Jared looked on with pity. 

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

I shifted at the edge of the woods, regaining my clothing. "I'm going to communicate for them." I gestured to my pack who settled on the bellies and observed the Cullens. With my heightened Alpha blood, I was able to maintain a connection with the Pack even in human form.

This is so stupid.

"Shut up Paul." The Cullens glanced between the wolves and me. "We gonna start this 'amazing training' or what?" I asked sarcastically. Jasper stepped up smoothly, keeping an appropriate distance from the pack.

"There is a Newborn army headed this way. They want Bella and will be unable to sate their thirst when they encounter the town." Jasper's accent sent a jolt of nostalgia through me. He raised an eyebrow at my sudden fluctuation of emotions. I cocked my head as Sam's direct thought appeared in my head. I winced at the uncomfortable feeling.

"How do Newborns differ from you?" I repeated to Jasper. While he explained to the pack I examined Bella. She was as pasty as ever with her large doe-eyes that practically had hearts beating in them as she clutched to Edward. I rolled my eyes and turned back to Jasper, who had begun a demonstration with Emmet.

"Emmet has the brute strength of a Newborn. You want to always stay outta' their reach at all times." Emmet lunged at Jasper and he easily dodged the bigger vampire. I studied their movements before stepping forward.

"I wanna go." 

No Caroline. Sam said firmly through the pack link.

"Oh put a sock in it, Sam!" I retorted clambering down the hill and standing in the center of the makeshift dirt ring. Sam growled and stood up, his massive, furry form daring me to. It turned into a staring contest, Alpha against Alpha blood.

This went on for nearly two minutes before Sam backed down. I was the more powerful Alpha. 

"Don't blame me if yeh get hurt," Jasper warned, standing in position.

"Cute that you think I can." I retorted, smirking. "I won't even shift. That should make it about even, yeah?"

Be careful Carol! Seth thought fearfully. 

"I've got it, Seth," I murmured. The five wolves were stiff as Jasper and I circled each other. 

Jasper lunged in a blur. I ducked underneath his oncoming hands swiping my feet underneath his. He jumped about mine, sliding toward the edge of the dirt ring. We circled each other as we scanned each others' defenses before Jasper once again disappeared into a blur, zig-zagging toward me. I could hear the crunch of leaves as one of the pack members (probably Jacob) stood and growled threateningly.

"Back off!" I yelled over my shoulder, digging my feet into the dirt and thrusting my shoulder forward. I was going to use Jasper's own momentum against him. His strong body collided against my smaller, but solid, figure. I strained as my feet slid back a few feet, sending a cloud of dirt into the air. There were several bated breaths as everyone waited for the dirt to clear the air. I latched my hands onto Jasper's shoulders, throwing his weight over mine and sending him slamming into the ground. A heavy thud echoed through the clearing as I took advantage of Jasper's shock. I rolled him over quickly and pinned him underneath; his legs beneath my knees, an elbow in his back, and my arms holding his at a painful angle. I was breathing heavy and swung my head to remove a strand of my sweaty hair that required another trim. 

There was silence in the clearing before a shrill whistle emerged from Emmet.

"Damn cowboy, she beat your ass," He laughed boisterously. I caught myself grinning.

"Caroline, you won, let him go," said Bella, biting her lip nervously. The smile slipped from my face as quickly as it had arrived. 

"Actually," Jasper grunted, still beneath me, "She's done it correctly," I glanced back up at Bella smugly. "I should admit defeat first before she lets me up," I peeled myself off him, rubbing my aching shoulder. 

"And that is how you do it, gents," I mock-bowed to my pack before adding, "and lady," I returned to my post between Sam and Jared. 

You should not have done that Caroline! Said Sam loudly through the pack link. I cringed, shooting Sam a dirty look. You will listen to my command next time! Edward's eyes were bouncing between the two of us like a ping-pong match. Right, the mind-read thing. Ugh.

"Hey Sam," I said softly, "It may have escaped your notice, but just because I'm part of your 'Cult of Furries' " I paused as his fur bristled, "Does not mean that you can control every moment of my life. Remember that, and we'll get along perfectly. 'Kay?" 

Oh shit. You're dead. Paul said, and he was serious. The Cullens watched my interaction with the Alpha tentatively. 

If you wanted to make your own choices, you should've accepted the position of Alpha. Sam said, fury ringing his words. 

"You practically didn't even offer it!" I retorted, clenching my fists angry. Even as I was standing at my full height, Sam laying on his belly in wolf form, towered over me. His lips pulled back into a snarl as we battled mentally for more control. I finally glanced away and at the ground.

The rest of the late night was Jasper explaining tactics and tips to the pack. Eventually, around 5 am, the Cullens called the night for Bella. Did it not occur to them that Seth, Leah, Jared, Sam, Paul, Jacob, and I were all human too and that we required sleep also? Obviously not.

Looks like i would be skipping school for the next week. Yippee. The Cullens and Sam (through me) made plans to practice again tomorrow night and then work on the actual plan to keep darling Bella safe for the battle in 2 days that would decide the fate of the Cullens, the Pack of La Push, and all the humans in Forks, Washington.