I Surf the USA

In the early morning, I dragged myself from the lumpy couch, wondering if Renee had shoved bricks inside it.

I slipped my wetsuit on,  biting back several curses as the cramped bathroom seemed to enjoy bouncing me around its insides like a trampoline. I opened the garage and began to look for my old surfboard. When I finally found the old thing, I blew a layer of dust off and ran a hand tenderly over the carrier of numerous memories.

Elijah, Triston's friend, and pack leader had painted a beautiful sunset in the center with flowers crawling towards the center. However faint the paint was getting though, it did not deprive it of its' beauty. I loaded the board onto the top of Renee's old car and started it up.

As the scenery flashed by me I breathed in deeply before popping several of my anxiety pills. I hadn't had any of those for a while and soon enough my muscles relaxed. As I stared distastefully at the sand I hated with my entire being, I attached the surfboard's strap to my ankle before climbing aboard it and swimming in between the waves until I was sufficiently far out.

As I caught wave after wave I nearly forgot why I was here. But as soon as I saw the two silver cars pull up and the boys' scents carried over the sea salt, my heart plummeted. I stuck my surfboard in the sand before slipping a tank top and shorts over my short-sleeved wetsuit. I crossed my arms to hide my dread as Elijah, Corvin, Charles, Gabe, and Peter strolled up to me.

We each once-overed each other before Elijah led the group to a small picnic table on a slab of concrete. We all uneasily seated ourselves, our last meeting having ended up bitter.

"Caroline, do you know the pack laws?" Was the first thing from Elijah's mouth. My eyebrows furrowed before I gave him a 'duh' face.

"Yeah. What's that have to do with your little meeting?" I asked sarcastically, rolling my eyes. Gabe's jaw tightened with anger at my disrespect to this territory's Alpha.

"You can't come on other Pack's lands without permission from the Alpha." Elijah told me, "You also brought a vampire-"

"Hold up," I protested loudly, holding up my hands, "First off, I didn't bring the bloodsucker. He's an accessory to my half-sister." I said rudely, not willing to take crap from Elijah. "Second off, this isn't your land. Your permanent place of residence is in Mexico and you have to notify the other Alpha's of packs if you're planning on moving it." I waited for him to retort angrily but he just ran his hand down his face. Only then did I seem to notice the dark bags under his eyes, the stoop of his shoulders, and the pale complexion he had taken on.

"Hey, play nice wolfy," mocked Corvin, slapping me on the back. "Ya can't bite off our Alpha's head. He still has Alpha blood and you don't." Corvin's 'teasing' felt like a slap to the face. I stood up angrily, my eyes holding promises of pain if he didn't shut up.

"On the contrary, Corvin, I do have Alpha blood." I snapped. "I share blood with Jacob Black, a descendant of Ephraim Black, the first shifter of the Quileute Tribe." The boy's mouths dropped open before Corvin turned his head to reveal his neck as a sign to show he accepted my power over his. 

With a humph, I seated myself back onto the concrete slab and impatiently waited for Elijah to spit whatever it was out.

"You can't be here Caroline. Your sister is being hunted by a specific vampire and that has brought danger to this town." Elijah said, exhaustion lacing his voice. "And even though this isn't our territory, we are still bound to protect humans from vampires. And in this case, that means you have to leave."

"Or we could just end the problem here and now." spat Gabe, his face twisted up in disgust. Peter turned to Gabe and attempted to calm his pack brother down.

"Gabe, that isn't right. Caroline's sister didn't purposely-" Peter started before he was interrupted by the angry boy.

"I don't care about her sister!" he yelled, standing up and pointing at me. "She killed Triston!" His name sent a pang through my chest and I nearly doubled over at the pain of it. Peter was trembling from head to toe, ready to shift and murder me. Rare tears bunched in my eyes as the familiar scene repeated itself in my head.

"You're being illogical Gabriel," said Charles in his usual uninterested voice. "It was the vampire that killed-"

"I know who killed him!" screamed Gabe. "I don't care! If it wasn't for her, Triston would still be with us now and you know it!" I interrupted his screaming-fest with startling news.

"I know who killed him." My quiet statement startled the immature boys into silence. "The leech that's hunting down Bella killed Triston." My lip trembled before a tear slid down my face as I stood up.

"I'll leave your land and attract Victoria -that's the vampire's name- until Edward and Bella return to Forks. I apologize for trespassing on your land Alpha Elijah." I bowed my head in respect. "I swear on my life, Edward will not harm a single human. If he does, I will end him and kill myself. Please allow Edward and Bella to stay here for two more days, please." I waited, my head still bowed and facing the sand.

"I will allow your request. But you must return to Forks immediately." I nodded, showing I understood before leaving the beach. I gave one last glance at Triston's friends, pack brothers, and family before I left.