-122-

Kasey makes the drive to WakeMed and pulls into her usual parking spot, putting the car in park and turning off the ignition before collecting her bag from the passenger side and making the walk that she's made numerous times before towards the stadium. 

With it being the season opener, and the Courage the reigning NWSL Champions the festivities are underway outside and fans line the way to cheer on their favourites. Kasey stops and signs autographs, takes selfies and accepts well wishes, thanking everyone for their support before heading inside to get herself into game mode. 

"You see the rings, Wild?" 

Kasey shakes her head, "Not yet. Think I'll wait until the ceremony to get a look. I'm sure they're a sight. Kylie has already tried to claim mine." 

Sam Mewis chuckles, "Of course, she has. Is Little Wild coming to the game tonight?" 

"She wouldn't miss it; her and my Mom should be here soon." 

"Where's Buddy?" 

"At home; I figured there might be a little too much going on tonight for him, not, to mention he isn't a fan of fireworks or loud noises and I'm sure the ceremony will include them." 

Sam nods, "True; I hadn't thought of that. I'll let you get back to your routine." 

"Thanks, Sammy. Let's have a good one tonight, eh?" 

"Yeah." 

Setting her bag down, Kasey removes her street clothes and puts on her warmup gear before putting in her earbuds and going through her individual stretches and warmups. Heading out of the room, she scoops her tennis balls and takes her plac before tossing them against the wall and from hand to hand to get her engaged. 

The changing room now filled with players, the clock counts down until it's time for them to take to the field for the pre-game ceremonies and warmups. After making their way out to the field, the players stand and listen to the different members of the team and organization speak before being called forth to receive their Championship rings. Kasey wearing the #1 is the first one up and walks across the field to receive the box holding her ring, shaking hands and waving to the crowd before sliding it on her finger and smiling. 

"GO MOM!" 

Kasey chuckles as she looks over and sees Kylie and her Mom standing and cheering her. Kylie forms a heart with her hands and Kasey responds with an, "I love you." 

With all of the players and staff having received their rings, the attention turns back to the task at hand. 

Standing and waiting behind Abby Erceg, for them to make the walk out, Kasey looks down and smiles at the young girl mascot who will be walking out with her, fighting back tears. 

"You nervous?" 

The girl nods her head and Kasey bends down to be closer to her level, "Me too. How about you hold my hand and we can do it together." Kasey reaches out and her hand is taken as she stands back up. 

On the other side, it doesn't go unnoticed by the members of the opposing Chicago Red Stars, who can't help but smile at the encounter. 

The referee sounds the opening whistle and the season gets underway as the Courage immediately press the visiting Red Stars and Lynn Williams issues an early warning shot to Naeher in the opposing goal. The half progresses and Kasey hasn't yet had to do much aside from dealing with a couple of passes back and then restarting the play. 

Denise O'Sullivan sends a shot just over the top and Crystal Dunn forces Naeher to come up big to maintain the zeroes on the board. 

In the 26th minute of play, Yuki Nagasato pounces on the ball in the centre of the park and sends a perfect feed ahead of Kerr, who's able to catch up to it and pull Kasey out of position. Kasey does her best to follow the Australian International, but, falls victim to a shot between her legs and into the netting that gives the Red Stars the lead.