House of Laments

Layla's POV

"So everyone's hearing back to normal this morning?" Nina asked as the others joined us in our room.

"Speak up, Nina. Stop mumbling," Amber told her.

"That answers that question," my sister said as she rolled her eyes at me.

"Hey, Fabian, do you want to play before breakfast?" Alfie asked as he held up a pair of monster figures.

"Alfie, you are not nine years old. Everyone, can we please focus?" My sister said. I elbowed her. I get that Alfie was being a little more Annoying than usual but that wasn't his fault & I really didn't like the way she kept talking to him. 

"Focus on what?" Fabian asked.

"The task, Fabian," Nina exclaimed.

"Right. I'm sorry. The memory's getting worse," Fabian said.

"I think it's pretty clear everyone's getting worse," I commented before turning to glare at my sister. "And I know it's frustrating but that is no excuse to be talking to our friends the way that you are, Nina," I hissed at her. She glared right back at me. I crossed my arms. I was just as stubborn as she was.

"Okay, guys, we need to find a way to finish this task and lift the curse. It's got to be about knowing the melody. If Sarah was here, she would know," Nina said.

"Who's Sarah?" Fabian asked.

"Sarah, Fabian, Dollhouse Sarah!" Nina cried out getting more upset by the second. I crossed my arms as I continued to glare at her. It was NOT Fabian's fault he had no memory skills anymore. She could have just as easily given everyone more manageable punishments by accident if she hadn't let her temper get the better of her...

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I just -" Nina said as she cowered at my glare. Suddenly the dollhouse lit up. "Thank you, Sarah!" She exclaimed as we rushed over.

"It's a music stand," Fabian commented.

"Wait," Amber said as she carefully removed the tiny sheet music that was on the miniature music stand.

"The song of Hathor. That's got to be it. That's got to be the name of the tune we need to play.
Yes!" I cheered.

"So how does the song of Hathor go?" Nina asked - not that any of us knew.

*****

"Okay, so for the benefit of our new arrivals - good look, by the way, Amber - we are about to get down to the reign of cleopatra," Ms. Valentine said after we had sat down in our seats having arrived slightly late to class.

"Do you know anything about ancient egyptian music?" Amber asked.

"It's for the school concert," Nina spoke up, sucking at lying as per usual.

"What school concert? Ow," Joy exclaimed as Patricia stepped on her foot.

"I-I-it's called the song of" Fabian started to say before forgetting.

"Hathor, the song of Hathor," I finished for him.

"Have you heard of it?" Nina prompted.

"Oh, I've heard of it. I mean, it's one of the key compositions of ancient egyptian music," Fabian's godfather said as he walked into the room carrying a bunch of books.

"Cool. How does it go?" Alfie squealed.

"Ah, well, nobody knows," Mr. Choudhry said.

"What do you mean, nobody?" Asked my sister.