House of the Stars

Layla's POV

"It's only a rat," Victor said as he went to investigate but thankfully didn't manage to spot us.

"That was so close," Fabian huffed as we all climbed out of the passageway after the ceremony had been completed.

"Victor must really want to stay young. He drank snake poison. I mean, that's what plastic surgery's for," Amber said as she climbed out into the kitchen.

"So are we still looking for this treasure or what? Or have the teachers got it or this Rufus Zeno dude?" Alfie asked.

"Shh! Okay, right now, let's just get out of here, get to bed, okay? We're not home safe yet," my sister told him as we all headed quietly back to our respective rooms.

*****

"Okay, after seeing what we saw last night, I think our first priority should be the search for the cup. We need to find it before they do," Nina said as we all sat gathered in a circle in the Sibuna clearing.

"Yeah. Imagine what Victor might do with the secret of eternal life. World domination," Patricia said.

"No, world domination to Victor is 6 billion people in bed by 10:00 PM," Alfie joked. We all laughed.

"Okay. These objects, puzzles, whatever, They're the key somehow. But until we've got them all, we won't know exactly what that is," I told everyone.

"Okay, so come on, guys.
We need to get our brains into gear," said Fabian.

"Have you seen the time? We were due back from lunch five minutes ago," Patricia exclaimed as she checked her watch.

"I got to go put the stuff back behind the panel, so I'll meet up with you after. Sibuna," my sister informed us.

"Sibuna," we repeated, though I could see Alfie looking a bit confused as we did so.

*****

"So I'd like this essay by next week, please. The tempest is a play about reconciliation and forgiveness. Discuss," Mrs. Andrews said as the bell rang. "Right. Thank you," she added as we all stood up. I looked back to see Mick trying to talk to Mara after she had broken up with him for trying to rig the election results in her favor. He hadn't succeeded but either way she hadn't been pleased.

As we left the class Patricia received a text from Joy who had apparently managed to get her hands on a new phone.

I looked up as my sister finally dashed into the drama studio in a panic.

"Victor caught me!" She exclaimed. We all stood up and rushed over to her.

"No way," Fabian said as I saw my sister glance over at Jerome who was staring at us.

"Oh, that's it. Whisper, whisper, whisper. Keep your secrets, sleuthettes. I'll find out anyway," Jerome stated as we left the room.

"Did he get the puzzle pieces?" Patricia asked once we were in the hallway.

"No, I'd already hidden them behind the panel. But he's really suspicious. As usual, my cover story left a little to be desired. And he's putting a padlock on the door," she informed us.

"Ugh," Patricia said.

"How will we get the puzzle pieces back if he does that?" We all sighed in frustration before heading back into the drama room.

"Not figured out how to save the world yet?" Jerome asked as he walked over to us. He had been standing over by our stuff though, not suspicious at all...