House of Locks

Layla's POV

"What's that? Who's there?" We heard Victor calling out as we hurried to try and find a spot to hide. I hissed as the bracelet on my arm suddenly burned hotter than before as I passed by one of the walls.

"Nina over here!" I whisper shouted as suddenly a wall opened up. We hid behind it and the next thing we knew it had closed up. I hugged my sister tightly as we heard Victor's footsteps draw nearer and nearer, until thankfully they finally faded and we heard the door to the attic close and lock again.

"How are we supposed to get out?" Nina whispered to me as we stood up. I spotted something on the wall. It was a little groove that matched the shape of Nina's new locket and when I looked over at her I saw the red gem glowing.

"Nina! Your locket!" I told her as I pointed to it. She held it up, eyes wide as she stared at the glowing necklace and then fit it into the groove. The door opened again and we stumbled back out into the attic room.

"Well that's a relief," I huffed as I wiped off some dust that had gotten on Nina's shoulder. She stared at the wall and then used her locket again to open the door, I hadn't noticed but there was another indent on this side as well. Huh...why had it opened up the first time without it? We peered in but jumped back as we saw a pair of eyes peering out at us. We looked at each other and nodded before racing back down the stairs.

"Layla, how do we get out?" Nina asked.

"Ahh, my dear, dear sister, allow me to show you the wonderful art of lock picking," I said with a wink. "If you could be so kind as to hand me one of your hair pins?" I asked sweetly as I held out my palm. She giggled but took one out as I bent down and wiggled it around until I heard a click.

I pulled the door open but we both stepped back as we came face to face with Fabian and Amber.

"Arrghh!" Fabian cried out quietly. I chuckled but decided now wasn't the time for teasing.

"Hi! What's the matter? You guys look like you've seen a ghost," Nina said with a smirk as we high fived.

"How did you?" Amber started to say before I raised up my hand to show her Nina's hair clip. She giggled excitedly.

"Sssh! You'll have Victor up again," Fabian warned her. Are you ok?" Fabian asked, though I noticed he was looking at Nina when he asked. I smirked. Fabina was definitely going to be a thing.

"Yeah," she replied as I turned back and used her clip to relock the door.

"So what was it like up there? See any ghosts?" Amber asked worriedly.

"No. Just mice and some spiders. Possibly a rat," Nina replied as I handed her pin back to her.

"Ugggh! You two are so brave! Night you three.
See you in the morning," she whispered before starting to head back to her room.

"Night," I whispered back.

"You did good," Fabian told my sister. I grinned at him with a raised brow, causing him to blush.

"Thanks. Don't tell Patricia, but my hands were shaking so hard," my sister admitted.

"Hey, your secret's safe with me," he whispered before heading off to his room. I gripped Nina's hand and squeezed it before opening our room quietly and climbing into bed next to her. I was just grateful that was behind us now.

*****

"We were certain Victor was going to get you two!" Jerome said as everyone clapped for my sister and I the next morning. I tried not to blush as he leaned over me to set something down on the table before heading to his seat.