House of Chance

Layla's POV

"What's wrong? What's wrong?" Nina and I cried out as Amber woke us up with her screams.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

"I saw the spirit lady. She came after me. She offered me her hand," she stammered.

"You didn't take it, did you?" Nina asked worriedly.

"No, no. Tell me it was just a dream.

"It was just a dream. I'm so sorry for dragging you into all this, Amber," Nina told our friend.

"Hey, you didn't drag. I pushed. And I'm glad," Amber said.

"A crazy spirit has targeted my sister and Fabian and now she's after you? And you're glad?" I asked.

"Well, glad might be stretching it, but with you two here, life's never dull. Unlike your hair. You really have to do something about these split ends," she said as she reached out played with our hair.

*****

"So we're going for the record, right?" I said as Eddie and I bent down and tied our legs together.

"You know it! I don't settle for second place," Eddie replied.

"Why am I not surprise," I laughed.

"So by the end of today, you should have approximately £200 And what are you expecting from games and stall?" I heard Mara asking Jerome. I frowned over at them.

"I don't know, Mara, because this is not a math-off. The donkeys will get all, okay?" Jerome exclaimed as he glanced over at Eddie and me with another frown.

"Jerome, Alfie is not coming into the bathroom with me. I'm going to be untying this knot when I need to go," Amber exclaimed as Jerome sat down on the chair next to me.

"Fine, but you will be out of the game. Legs have to stay tied at all times," he said, glancing down at my own leg which was now wrapped in a bandana along with Eddie's.

"I drink a liter of water every morning for hydration purposes," Amber told us.

"Oh. Well that should raise the stakes a bit!" Jerome said as I chuckled. There was no way there were lasting more than a few hours.

"Ready to get served Jerry," Eddie said.

"It's Jerome," I corrected him in a whisper.

"Absolutely. Last thing this afternoon, when we have sauced every bit of carrot in the neighborhood," Jerome replied. I giggled in anticipation. "Seriously, whose side are you on!" He moaned.

"Hey! I'm always on your side," I told him as I nudged his shoulder.

"Amber, have you got those extra gifts for the lucky dip?" Mara asked.

"Oh, I left them on my bed. I'll go and get them. Come on. Ah! Sorry. Ugh! Alfie, what's wrong with you?" She exclaimed as the stood up and immediately fell over. "Inside. Outside. Inside. Outside. Wrong!" She exclaimed as the left.

"I don't know why you're so amused. We haven't even tried walking yet," I told Eddie.

"Eh. Lady don't lie. Shall we?" He said as he reached and arm down to me. I took it and stood up.

"Okay, let's just start off slowly. I'd like to avoid falling," I told him. We took a few steps and it actually was easier than I had anticipated so long as you were in sync with one another.

"Eh! Look at us go!" I said giving him a high-five.

"Step right up. Step right up. Pay your money and take a crack at the Jack!" Joy shouted in the hallway as we approached her booth. "Oh, gonna have a go, Mr. Sweet?"