House of Deja Vu

Layla's POV

"Just a dream," I sighed in relief as I looked over at my sister and hugged her tightly. She hugged back, shaking a little.

"Nina, you'll never believe the dream Fabian and I both had last night," Amber exclaimed as she pulled my sister and I into the kitchen.

"The spirit pushed me down the chasm," my sister whispered as I clutched her hand.

"Wow, that was a really good guess," Amber said.

"I think she had the same dream," Fabian told her.

"Right. Obvie," Amber said.

"We're having shared dreams now? Amber seeing the spirit too? This is getting out of hand," my sister exclaimed.

"Wait. What if I have the mark? I have flawless skin," Amber said panicking.

"It's okay. Relax. You don't have it," I said as I checked her arm.

"We can't relax, though, can we? I mean, the spirit is reminding us that Nina's life is at stake. I mean, we have to get," Fabian started to say as Amber shushed him and started humming as Vera entered the kitchen. "We have to get her safely on the other side of that pit and find the mask," Fabian whispered after she had left.

"In your version of the dream, did you two get kissy-kissy?" I grinned at Amber as I nodded and glanced at the two of them as they both started stammering.

"Alright I need someone tall to hang stuff up and someone whose a girl to make sure it doesn't look terrible," Joy called out as she gestured to Eddie and I.

"Come on then," I told him.

"I checked this morning. There's nothing from your dad yet. But I'm hoping there'll be something in this afternoon's mail," I told Poppy as she came up to me in the hallway. I could see Eddie looking between the two of us confused.

"But I can't wait that long," she said.

"Can't wait that long for what?" Jerome suddenly said from behind us.

"Uh, for big hair to come back. I told her it's cyclical," I told her as I yanked on Eddie's arms and practically dragged him down the hallway.

"What was that about?" He asked.

"Nothing you need to worry about," I told him.

*****

"How does it feel to have your life in my hands?" Eddie asked as I climbed the ladder to correct the work he had done.

"I'd feel safer on the deck of the Titanic!" I said before accidentally slipping on the top step and falling. I screamed in shock remembering the nightmare of my sister falling only to feel a pair of strong arms catch me.

"Oh! I knew you'd fall for me," Eddie joked as he stood me back on my feet.

"Oh, um, thanks," I said blushing. Damnit! What was happening. I couldn't be liking him when I was with someone else...that's wrong isn't it? I'd never want to give Jerome the idea that I might be cheating or something that wasn't who I was.

"Perfect," Joy said as she looked at our work.

"Why are we hanging curtains when there's a perfectly good door?" Eddie asked her.

"It's for dramatic entrances," she replied before running off.

"Where's Fabian? We need hopscotch practice," Amber said as she pulled me away from Eddie and over to Nina.