#32: Fool Me Once, Fool Me Twice

8:45 pm/ Kareem's POV:
Lamon County Jail

            And just like that, the son of a bitch is dead.

            Blood continues to spill from Rocko's neck and abdomen, mixing with the water pouring from the shower head. His eyes are wide open, mouth agape. The look of defeat plastered on his face.

Payback's a bitch ain't it? 

"Damn, you really fucked him up." Keith joked walking up behind me.

This was nothing compared to what I really wanted to do to him.

"Come on, we gotta get out of here, Amia you still there?"

            Amia appears from around the shower, she shockingly brings her hand to her mouth at the sight of Rocko's dead naked body. "Oh my God."

            "You good?"

            She nods, removing her hands from her mouth, "Yeah, just never saw a dead body or that much blood for real."

            Keith laughs. "Don't throw up now."

            "Let's get out of here before I do." She turns and leaves. Keith and I follow behind her cautiously. It was still early in the night. Other correctional officers were roaming around the jail doing their rounds.

            Killing Rocko was the easy part.

Getting the fuck outta LCJ was another story.

            "We're going to get caught," Keith says nervously.

            Amia smacks her lips, "No, we're not. The cafeteria is not that far. My car is parked right by the back door in the kitchen."

            "Good."

            We were just a few feet away from the entrance of the cafeteria when a male correctional officer appeared from down the right hallway. "You three!" he called.

            "Shit! I told you." Keith panics.

            "Run!" I yell.

            All three of us take off running through the cafeteria doors. The male CO runs after us, he warns others through his walkie-talkie about our escape. The sound of a bullet goes passed my head and ricochets off something, striking Amia on her side. She collapses in front of Keith, almost tripping him.

            "Kareem, help me!" She calls out, clutching her side with one hand, her bloody hand, and reaching towards me with the other one.

            I stare at the exit sign and then back at Amia. Tears were forming in her eyes.

            "Kareem let's go! Or we're not going to make it out."

            I ran up on Amia and quickly unclipped her car keys off her belt.

            "You son of a bitch! You really gon' leave me here?" she yells.

            "Trust me when I say this is a better outcome for you," I explained.

            She stares at me angrily and confused. I apologize one more time and then followed Keith through the back doors. Amia's SUV was parked a few feet away from the door. Hitting the unlock button, Keith hopped in the passenger's seat, and I climbed into the driver's seat. "I can't believe you left her."

            Inserting the key into the ignition, "I had to. She wasn't going to make it far with us. At least she's alive compared to what could've been if Opal got her hands on her."