#12: Special Delivery

August 13, 2018

8:20 AM | Opal Kane's Home

Homicide Detective Turner's POV

            "How long are we going to be sitting here?" Samson complained like a child as we waited outside of Opal Kane's home.

            "You got somewhere you need to be, Detective?" I asked with my eyes focused on the house.

            Samson exhaled deeply and replied, "Nope."

            "Didn't think so, plus the tow truck hasn't arrived yet."

            Opal Kane lived in the beautiful historic-district part of the town, it consisted of quarter- million-dollar homes that once belonged to some of the biggest musicians that ever-stepped foot out of Riverborn. Mostly families of the former musicians lived in the remaining homes that were still standing.

            Five minutes later, a young- looking brown skinned woman, dressed in an oversized snake-skin shirt with matching wide leg pants stepped out of the large two story, red brick home. She posed at the top of the steps in her gold stiletto heels, checking her watch before walking down and heading towards the black Mercedes Benz parked in the driveway. She never noticed the unmarked car parked across the street.

            "Is that her?" Samson sat up in his seat, shocked by her beauty. "She looks good! Damn good! Ain't no way in hell she sixty-two." He began checking the mirror making sure that he was presentable.

            "Stop it." I jealously rolled my eyes, but he was right. She did look good. If Angela Basset had an identical twin sister, it was her. She flipped the long, individual braids behind her and opened the driver's door of the Benz and leaned inside.

            "I wonder what she does to afford a car and house like this?" Samson curiously asked, changing the subject.

            Reading from a copy of her background check, "It says here, from 1980  until 1993, she worked as a holistic medicine practitioner in South Haven. Then in 1996, she opened her own doula service company right here in Riverborn. It was called Lady Opal's Doula Services. Business was quite successful over the years, but in the fall of 2015, she closed the doors permanently."

            "She got a husband. Kids?"

            "Husband is deceased, and she has one child, a son." I continued to read. "Oh my God..."

            "What?" Samson snapped his neck.

            I handed him the folder and pointed to the child's name. "Dominic Kane is her son."

            Samson's eyes quickly scanned the paperwork, "That's a lie. His mother name is Rachael Moore. She was the one who identified the body at the morgue. I was there."

            "Well, it says right here that Opal is his mother."

"It partially explains why she dressed in designer, riding in a luxury car and living good a big house." Handing the folder back, he asked. "You still think she could've killed Tammy though?"

            "It's hard to tell." I answered, truthfully.  "You'll be surprised by a lot of shit you see working in this field, but I wouldn't put it passed her. From the stories I've heard, Domino had a short temper and those who didn't bow down got laid down. I wonder where who got it from? Come on, let's go introduce ourselves to the lady of the house." I opened the passenger door and exited out. Before walking over, I checked myself out in the window, making sure my hair and makeup and was intact and that my pantsuit was straightened. Samson caught me and began laughing at me.