Chapter 140- Popularity

Crosson's broadcasting hall.

There were nearly 100 trainees sitting on the ground in a messy fashion--after the fifth elimination match, only 90 people had made it into the next round.

The program producer used a loudspeaker to announce the rules for the next competition, "In the sixth elimination match, according to the old rules carried through over the years, we won't play a customized map. It will be fixed, and the number of contestants will go from 90 to 50..."

Off-stage, Wu Jin quickly opened up his terminal and looked up the previous year's Crosson Show competition system.

A fixed map was usually selected from several existing maps. The program instructors would make the choice. The first and second elimination match had been held on fixed maps.

However, for the next elimination match, the map would be much more difficult than it had been for the first round.

Wu Jin glanced over it roughly. The sixth Crosson elimination match--

Last year was a haunted house, and the year before last was a radioactive city... a few years before, settings like a haunted house, an amusement park, a radioactive city, or even a deserted island had all been chosen.

Program producer: "Due to a scheduling conflict with the Stardust Cup survival show, our next game will be in two months' time. What's the most important thing to do in between?"

The trainees shouted out the slogan, dragging it out, "Training, training, and more training..."

The program director slapped the table, "Wrong! It's obtaining popularity!"

There was a whoosh as the two stage staff opened up the virtual projection behind the program producer. There was a series of charts and data that looked very complex, and it had undoubtedly come from the Crosson marketing department.

"The Star Net." The program producer banged on the table, "It changes with each passing day; thousands of changes. The popularity of the show is mainly concentrated during two or three seasons, starting from the Star League and ending with the Stardust Cup in the Azure division. What does the audience look forward to the most?"

"Professional players! Those who have results, high KA specs (kill rates, assistance rates), and are the ones who lead the team to victory! What are trainees? Trainees are secondary to the audience. Trainees are the little sprouts that come out every season. After cutting off a sprout, there'll still be more sprouts!"

"In the two months between the rounds, remember, one of the most important tasks is to remain in the audience's memory! --How is it done?!"

The projection swished and changed, showing a line of bold text.

Variety show, Star Blog, maintaining one's character design, stirring up gossip, taking advantage of the popularity of their own battle team.

Wu Jin and the rest of the trainees: "......"

On the stage, the program producer began to introduce marketing case studies of former trainees, "When Big Thin was in our program back then, gossip about him broke out once every two weeks on average. Don't underestimate the power of a scandal. The audience will go and look for artists' and internet celebrities' scandals even if they're not interested in survival show players!"

"A few years ago, two players from two different teams were reported by over a dozen tabloid newspapers as having entered the same hotel one after another at night. Although they were only discussing the Fluorescent tactics book, the audience was enthusiastic and excited! So, the company's top management decided to hold a press conference announcing that they were 'in true love'. On the same day, their fan count on the Star Blog and the share price of the company both rose..."