Chp 15: You won't win

Maria's POV

-------------------------------------------------70 hours later----------------------------------------------------------------

The pain had continued for such a long time. But it was worth it. Every pinch of agony I felt was worth it because it meant I was one step closer to becoming strong enough to properly take care of my daughter. 

My eyes slowly opened and the instant feeling of being reborn washed over me. 

I've always been strong and powerful. But now. It's something completely and utterly different. 

Everything about myself felt impeccable except for the burning at the back of my throat. Even as a hybrid, when I was thirsty, I never had a pain in my throat as fierce as now. 

My eyes move towards the window of my room. I know that I should go to the living room where everyone else is first. But I can't help it. Blood is my top priority right now.

My feet take off before my mind even has a chance to figure out where I even want to go. But as soon as I'm up and out of the window, the forest is the first place my eyes set on.

I run as fast as I can. At least twice as fast as I could have before I was changed. And it felt amazing. Even though I was running at an inhumane speed, everything rushing past me was crystal clear in my eyes. Not even a little blurry.

It was perfect. 

Suddenly, I stop in the midst of my tracks. As the scent of a deer fills my nose. No. Not just one. At least three.

My head turns to the right and I can see off in the far distance; two adult deers and a small one, barely able to stand up.

The tip of my lips goes up into a smirk as I launch myself in their direction.

They're fast, no doubt about it, but I'm faster.

I take the first one down easily, and break the feet of the next two so they can't run away. Quickly sinking my teeth as the bitter-sweet liquid drowns itself in my throat. Slowly perishing the burning sensation in my throat. 

As I finish the adults off, my eyes lock onto the baby deer, realizing what I just did. 

It looks at me and quivers. The blood that's dripping from my mouth falls onto it's soft, fragile skin. 

I killed its parents. 

My thirst outweighs my conscience and I snap the baby deer's neck, adding the last few pints of blood left to relinquish my thirst. Wiping the blood from my mouth. 

My head turns again to find Alec leaning against a tree. 

I can see him so much more perfectly now. Every detail that carves his stature is noticable to me.

Slowly, I walk towards him. 

He looks at me and tilts his head.

"I didn't think it was possible for you to get any more beautiful.", he traces my jaw line, going up to my lips,"I guess I was wrong."

A smile comes on my mouth,"How'd you know I was here?"

"New borns are never discreet when they go out to hunt. Especially you.", he smirks and grabs me by the waist. Pulling me closer to him.

"Oh really?", I raise an eyebrow,"Guess I'll have to work on that."

He leans down and kisses me and this time, I'm able to put just as much passion as him. 

"Wow.", I whisper,"I can actually say that I'm stronger than a Volturi member."

"For now.", his lips nuzzle my neck.

This was the perfect time to change me because as a new-born, I'll be stronger than any other vampire. 

"I'm strong enough for her.", I say.

He looks into my eyes,"You were always strong enough, Maria."

"But.", I interject,"Now...I'm stronger....C'mon. I need to go see her."

We both run towards the house and climb in my window.

"Elizabeth?", I call out.

For a second, there's no answer, but soon enough, she runs through the doors, embracing me with her small arms.

"Mommy!", she says,"Where did you go?"

"No where, honey.", I assure her,"I just wasn't feeling too well. So I decided to rest for a few days."

She frowns,"Your eyes are very red. Almost like daddy's."

My hand goes near my eyes. It almost escaped my mind that my eyes will be red for the next few months. 

"Yes they are.", I say,"But don't worry. It's not a bad thing."

Elizabeth grins,"They look beautiful, Mommy. Like little gems."

I laugh and nod.

It's ironic, actually. That these 'little gems' could be hiding something so deadly.