Chp 14: I'll do anything for her

Maria's POV

I'm pacing in the living room and playing with my fingers. Whenever I'm nervous or anxious about anything, I have to keep moving. It's almost impossible for me to just sit still and stay calm. As you can probably tell now. 

My family know about what Alec said and they are ready to do anything for Elizabeth. This is still confusing me just a little bit. The same thing happened for Renesmee.

But. 

For different reasons.

And technically the same thing is not happening. This won't be an outright "war" like it had happened with Renesmee. But this is still bad. If anything happenes to Elizabeth or Alec, I swear, I'll never be able to forgive myself. Those two are everything to me. And I can't afford to lose either of them. 

"Mommy", Elizabeth tugs on my dress,"When is daddy coming home?"

"Soon, sweetie.", I give her a reassuring smile.

She beams, but quickly frowns,"Why are you so nervous? Are you mad at daddy?"

"What?", guess I'm being really obvious,"Of course not, sweetie. It's something else. Don't worry about it."

Rosalie calls Elizabeth over to her and I go back to thinking. 

There are a million questions running through my mind. Will they kill her? Or Alec? Or the rest of the Cullens? 

It feels as if all of this stress is giving me a headache, but now I know it's all in my head because there is no way that I'm pregnant again. 

The sudden, urgent knock on the door causes me to jump. Quickly, I run and open the door. 

"Daddy!!", Elizabeth shrieks and runs, full speed, at Alec, who picks her up and gives her a big embrace. 

"I missed you so much.", Elizabeth is giggling,"Please don't leave us again."

"Don't worry, sweetheart.", Alec tucks a strand of her hair behind her ear,"I won't do that ever again. I promise."

"Why did you leave though?", she asks innocently.

Alec shoots me a look and I look away. He knows that I wouldn't tell her and he knows that she should never know.

"I had to visit a friend.", he says slowly.

I still don't meet his eyes again. Not because he did anything to upset me. But because if I move my eyes again, tears will start to fall. And that will only add fuel to Elizabeth's suspicion.

Alec comes up to me and hugs me. I throw my arms across his neck, burrying my head in his neck, letting a few tears fall. Quickly wiping them before I lean up and kiss him. 

"God, I missed you.", I whisper.

The puts his forehead to mine,"I know, I missed you too. But I have to talk to you and the others....now."

My eyes move towards Elizabeth and Alec instantly knows what I'm thinking.

"Elizabeth, how about I read you a story before you go to bed?", Alec kneels down to her and looks at her with a smile.

She immediately frowns,"But I don't wanna go to bed yet. "

He chuckles,"Sorry, you have to. Rules are rules. Whether I'm here or not."