Chapter 5: Homecoming

Maria's POV

Another two weeks have gone by since Alec and Demetri have been here. And I must say....it's not even that bad, actually. 

He's not even that bad. He doesn't make any death threats toward me. He still usually doesn't talk to me that much though, unless he has to. Or unless I ask him something.

I look up at the sky even though the suns not anywhere to be found. It's another cloudy day in the forest. Not unusual for Forks. And I'm spending my day in the forest. 

My friends asked me to hang out. Go dress shopping with them because homecoming's tomorrow. But I said no. Because I'm not going. 

A couple other guys asked me to homecoming, but i said no. They're really not my type. 

Speaking of which. Homecoming is tonight....great...just another school evet that reminds me that I'm a nobody. Oh well....like it matters.

A sigh escapes my mouth as I jump off the tree onto the ground. 

"This is a nice place to be isn't it?"

I turn around, shocked that I'm not alone.

It's Alec.

And again, the butterflies come back to my stomach. As well as blush to my cheeks. 

"I-uh.", I stammer, unable to find words.

"Do all hybrids have a hard time speaking?", he says whilst raising an eyebrow.

I frown,"No.....you just....caught me off guard."

"You know, I still want to know what you did to me the first time I saw you a month ago.", he tells me.

"...huh?", I ask, genuinly confused. 

"Your gift.", he says, now turning serious.

"Who says I have to tell you?", I stubbornly say.

"I might just have to use my power to convince you then.", he tells me.

I'm speechless,"...what is that a threat?"

"No.", he smirks,"It's a promise."

Damn it. He must have known that I'm afraid of his gift...but then again, who isn't? I sigh,"Well....like many others, I have a gift. The power to confuse others. It really helps to get away from an attacker....or in other words, you."

He looks genuinly impressed,"Seems dangerous."

"I guess.", I quietly say, looking away,"So...are you going to homecoming?..."

Oh wow. Did I really just ask that? Now he's gonna think that I want to go with him. Great job, Maria. Just great.

"Yes.", he says.

"Oh..", I can't help but be a little dissapointed,"Have fun. Who are you taking?"

"No-one.", he says,"I have to go. It's a part of my mission. But why don't you come with me?"

My heart stops,"...wow...Is THE Alec Volturi asking me to be his date for the dance?" I manage to get out a small laugh to ease the mood,"But you do realize that every girl would want to be your date. I'm just the nerdy girl who doesn't really have any kind of fun...so...why are you asking me?"