Chp 12: Not again

Maria's POV

Only a week has gone by, but it's literally seems like it's been a year. Why?

Elizabeth is growing just as fast as Renesmee was. Already she is crawling and able to say a few words.

"Alec, try to get her to sleep will you?", I hand him Elizabeth and sit down,"I've tried for the past 30 minutes and she still won't sleep a wink."

He chuckles and rocks her in his arms. And to my shock, she's asleep in a matter of minutes.

"Wait, what?!", I whisper making sure not to wake her again,"How did you get her to sleep???"

He shrugs his shoulders and sits down next to me with Elizabeth still looking peaceful in his arms. 

"Jealous?", he asks sardonically.

I roll my eyes and playfully hit him on the shoulder.

"Are you surprised?", I begin,"The first day we met, we hated eachother. And now, we're together with a child."

"It's surprising.", he tells me,"But there's not a single regret that I have on my mind."

A smile forms on my lips and I lean over and give him a kiss, but his phone interupts us. 

He pulls out his phone and frowns. 

"What is it?", I ask. 

"Nothing.", he says a little flustered,"It's Jane. Let me take this."

I nod. He hands me the sleeping angel and walks out of the room. 

She sturs in my arms a little, but settles and falls into a deep sleep.

I lean down put my lips to her forehead, giving it a small kiss. 

"I love you, sweetheart.", I whisper. 

My head shoots up and I see Alec standing in the doorway, visibly frustrated.

I narrow my eyes,"...what?"

He comes takes the child from my arms, putting her in the crib. 

"Alec, tell me what's going on right now!", I yell in a whisper.

He puts a finger to my lips and pulls me out of the room.

I shake my head,"Please just tell me what's going on..."

"Maria...", he tells me,"I need you to listen to me in a calm temper. Can you do that for me?"

"Alright.", I give up,"What is it?"

"Jane told me that Aro knows everything.", He says.

"Well.", I begin,"That's kind of a given. He probably touched Jane's hand and figured out everything that she saw and said."

"That's not the point, Maria.", he says.

"Well what is?", I ask getting a little impatient.

"He's making a threat.", he's beginning to get very frustrated,"Like I told you. He'll kill...anyone to get what he wants."

My eyes widen as I let this sink in.

"No...", my body begins to shake,"He wouldn't...."

"I came here because I didn't want to make you raise the child on your own, but I never thought Aro would harm our child. Or even you if he knew there was a reason.", he stands up and begins to pace the room.

"So...", there is actually fear running through me and this time I don't even try to hide it,"What are we going to do?"

He looks at me as if I should already know the answer.

"No..", tears begin to fall down my face,"Not again. You can't leave."

He comes to me and cups my face in his hand,"It's not permanent. It's only to appease Aro. And to figure out what he's going to do next, because Jane told me that he said something about unfinished business."

"Alec...", I plead,"What do I tell her? She'll cry for you."

"One week.", he assures me,"Two weeks tops, darling. I have to be back to protect you here."

I shake my head and start to cry.

"Trust me.", he looks me in the eyes.

Unwillingly, I nod.

He and I walk to the other room. Alec picks up the sleeping Elizabeth and holds her close to him, giving her a kiss on the forehead.

The tears don't cease to fall down my face. 

Alec comes to me and pulls me into a hug.

I begin to bawl into his shoulder and he runs his fingers through my hair and puts his lips to my neck, kissing it softly.

"I love you.", I stand on my tippy toes to meet his lips.

"I love you too.", he looks at me and wipes a tear from my cheek,"It'll be ok. I promise."

And for the first time, I wasn't too sure I believed him. 

But still. 

He's doing this for us.

He may be from the Volturi. But he's a damn good father.