Chapter 8: He's gone

Maria's POV

My hands go to my eyes. I'm still hoping that this is a dream. 

I knew this day was coming. But it's not only this. It runs deeper.

"Maria, I love you. You know that.", he grabs my hand and puts it to his lips,"But if I don't go, it's you they'll be after."

"Alec...", tears are falling now and I make no effort to wipe them,"I knew you'd leave, but...."

I get off my bed and walk to the window and really start crying now.

"I should have known!", my voice is rising to a shout,"God why am I so stupid! How...how many times will I have to get hurt before I realize that love will never last for me..."

Alec comes up to me and puts his hand on my shoulder,"Maria, I swear I'll never stop loving you."

"Alec, we'll be worlds apart!", I yell,"You're in Italy, I'm here in America. We'll never see eachother...Why does this always happen? How come whenever I love someone, they leave me? Do I really deserve this?"

"No, but this is the promise I'm making.", he says,"I'll see you...again. I have no idea when. But I will."

"Alec you can't go.", I whisper and put my arms around his neck,"I love you too much...I've never loved anyone as much as I love you. I'd give up anything, even going to Yale, just to be with you."

We stand still, just embracing for a few moments.

Even though I knew this day was coming, I was hoping that if I didn't talk about it....it wouldn't happen. How ignorant of me to even think about that.

"I have something for you.", he tells me causing me to step back and look at him.

Suddenly, he pulls out a red box, smaller than the size of your palm. As soons as he opens it, my hand goes to my mouth.

It's a ring.

He gets down on one knee,"Maria, I know you're upset. But this is to show you that I'll always be yours. Will you marry me?"

Tears begin to well up in my eyes. 

"God Alec...yes...yes I will.", I say quietly.

He slips the ring onto my finger and pulls me into a kiss. I want to be his. Forever. But I want to be with him. Does this make me selfish? To want to be with the man I love for the rest of my life. 

"What time are you leaving tomorrow, Alec?", I ask.

"10...in the morning.", he says.

I bite my lips and look up at him,"Alec, you love me?"

He narrows his eyes,"Yes. Why are you asking me that?"

"How much do you love me?", I ask in a more quiet voice.

"Maria", he says,"Where's this going?"

"This is your last night...", I breathe a sigh,"Neither of us know when we will be able to see eachother again....what I'm asking is....will you spend the night with me?" I take a deep breath and finish my sentence,"....Make love to me.."

He raises his eyebrows in surprise and makes me sit down on the bed,"Maria...You know how much I care about you. But you also know how lethal I am. I'd hurt you."

"You wouldn't.", I tell him,"I know you'd never do that."

"I'm not a vegetarian...I drink human blood. And you're part human, Maria.", he tells me.

"I know.", I say quietly,"But I'm only half-human. I'm stronger..."

There's silence between us for a few seconds.

"I've...never had sex before, Alec.", I sigh,"I wanted to make sure that if I ever had...it would be with the person who I loved the most."

"Maria...", Alec closes his eyes and pinches the bridge of his nose,"I have no idea if I have that strength not to hurt you. Even kissing you takes so much self-control."

I nod and look down. 

He reaches over and pushes a strand of my hair behind my ears and tips up my chin to look at him. Slowly he comes closer to me and kisses me gently. 

I respond immediately by slipping my arms across his neck. Deepening the kiss and pulling on his shirt collar to make him come closer. 

He slowly pushes me down on the bed and soon he's on top of me. 

"I love you.", he says.

"I love you too.", I whisper,"...so much." My fingers fumble to unbotton his jacket and shirt. 

His lips move to my neck and he reaches behind my back to unzip my dress, smoothly sliding it off my body. 

I love him. And I always will love him. Him leaving is the worst thing that could ever happen. But at least I'm able to show him how much I love him. 

------------------------------------------------------later that night------------------------------------------------------------

I lay my head on Alec's chest as he wraps his arms around my bare back, holding me close to him and kissing my forehead. 

Keeping my eyes open is hard because it's so late. 

"Sleep.", he tells me and moves his fingers through my hair. 

"I'm not tired.", I say and yawn, which doesn't help me be convincing at all.

He grabs my hand and kisses it,"Yes you are."

"I don't want to miss a single second of being with you.", I sigh.

"You'll still be with me.", he says quietly. 

Slowly, I let my eyes close and I fall asleep in a matter of minutes.

-----------------------------------------------------the next morning--------------------------------------------------

The sun is shining, causing me to open my eyes in an annoyed way. 

My hands move around my bed and that's when I realize I'm all alone.

"...Alec....", I say quietly.

In a matter of seconds, he's in front of me. He's back in his Volturi uniform, ready to leave at any second. And I'm still in bed. Naked and crying.

I clutch the bed sheet to my chest as the tears fall down my face.

I feel a pair of hands around me and I quickly throw my hands across him and say his name.

"Maria.", he says softly,"Don't cry, love. I'll be back. I promise. I love you so much."

"I-I love you too.", my voice stutters from crying. 

He gives me one last kiss on the lips and forehead and leaves.

I love him.

I had him.

I lost him.

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Ok, I know you guys are gonna hate me because I made him left, but the story is not over. There's more to come and surprises. Trust me. This is not the last you have seen of Alec.