Chp 13: Please come home soon

Maria's POV

It's been a week and I still haven't heard from Alec. He said he'd be home by now....well...kinda. He did say something about '2 weeks tops'. 

But Elizabeth is crying so much. 

She notices that her father's gone. And she very visibly upset about it. 

The familar high-pitched screaming interupts my thoughts.

I walk towards Elizabeth's room and pick her up from her bed, rocking her in her arms. Her sobs quiet down and I kiss her on the head. 

She's growing so fast. She looks like a three year old and can even say full sentences. 

"Where's daddy?", she mumbles.

"Shhh.", I whisper,"He'll be back, sweety. I promise."

"Why did daddy leave?", tears begins to streak her pale face,"Did we do something wrong? Doesn't he love us anymore?"

"Now you know that's not true.", I assure her, pushing a strand of her hair behind her ear,"Your father loves us very much. He just...had some...business to take care of. But he'll be back. He wouldn't leave us."

"But what if he doesn't, mommy?", she rubs her sleepy eyes.

"Then...", I sigh,"We'll go and get him ourselves."

"I miss...", her yawning cuts her off.

"I know you do. So do I....now go back to bed.", I put her back down in her bed, put the covers on her, and tuck her in.

"I'm not tired though...", her eyes are already closed. It makes me wonder if she's actually sleep talking now.

A small laugh escapes my mouth,"Yes you are. I'll stay with you until you're asleep."

"Mommy?", her eyes are barely open now.

I raise an eyebrow,"Nope. No more questions. Now you have to sleep."

"Please?", she lightly pleads,"One more."

"...Well.", a sigh escapes me,"Alright. But after that. Light's out."

"You won't leave me....right?", her eyes are wide open.

My heart drops to my stomach.

My hand cups her cheek,"Sweety. I'll never. Ever. Leave you. You'll always be a part of your daddy's and my life."

A smile comes on her lips,"I love you, mommy."

Soon she's fast asleep.

"I love you too", I whisper as a tear runs down my cheek.

The thought that Elizabeth would actually think that I'd leave her breaks my heart. It reminds me of my mother....and how she left me. The pain that she's feeling right now about Alec leaving is the exact pain I was feeling. 

How could I let that happen to her? I promised to give her the life that I've never had, but right now, I'm not doing a good job. 

My phone vibrates. I quickly grab it and run out of the room so I won't wake her.

My fingers go to my eyes and quickly wipe my tears, putting the phone to my ear.

"Hello?", I say in a semi-unsteady voice.

"Maria.", Alec's voice fills my ears and I immediately smile,"How is she?"

"Hey, Alec.", my exasperated voice echoes the hallways,"She misses you so much. And she's crying everyday. Just a few minutes ago, she was talking about how much she wants you back....she thinks that you left because you didn't love us anymore."

"What?", Alec's is obviously upset and frustrated,"That's not true--"

"Don't worry, I told her that.", I assure him,"But she's really upset."

A sigh comes from Alec,"Maria...I need you to listen to me. You're not in her room now, right?"

"No.", I walk to my own room and close the door,"What is it?"

Alec's voice is quiet now,"I'll be back tomorrow. Early. 5 a.m."

"Really?", my voice is ecstatic,"Oh my god, this is great."

"That's not all.", he begins,"The Volturi knows about Elizabeth. They are not happy. And they're coming to Forks in a few days. I'm at the airport right now. Jane is doing her best to distract them. But I had to come to protect you from their. Tell your family this right now. Warn them. But make sure Elizabeth doesn't know."

Nothing.

My body won't even let me speak. It feels like I just swallowed a giant bottle of hot glue. 

But I force myself to say at least one thing before he disconnects.

"...Alright."

The click of the phone going dead is the last thing I hear.