Xander

The drive to our new home felt like it was a million years long. I wanted my parents to turn the car around, to bring me back home to Juliette but they didn't. We said goodbye. I watched the sky for most of the drive. I said goodbye to the rest of my friends yesterday as well. I had seen so many tears in the last few days it was crazy; I felt awful leaving my friends

     I watched the scenery pass outside for hours. I counted telephone poles and cars and any other quantifiable object I could to pass time. I sketched from time to time and had my earbuds in, listening to music, until we reached San Francisco.

     The first few weeks of my summer were spent unpacking into our new home, coffee shop, and texting and calling people back home. I didn't unpack much because I would be moving into the dorms at my new university at the end of summer and my mom did not want to repack everything I owned so I stuck to essentials.

     We completely set up the new Coffee House before I left for college and because it was close to campus, I met some of the people I would be going to school with before the school year even started. I was still in constant communication with Juliette and my other friends back home but as people started to go to their own colleges and live their own after-high school lives, communication faltered. Messages went unanswered longer and calls started going to voicemail. It wasn't as if I was ignoring my friends and they were ignoring me, we just got busy and moved on.

      I had started college and was working at the successful new location of my parent's coffee shop. I started taking digital design classes and marketing courses to help with the business but also because I started to get really invested and interested in graphic design after attending a seminar on it with some of my new college friends who I met through them being customers. I had also met people in my required freshman classes and soon I had a group again.

     My college experience started out well. I enjoyed most of my classes and I really enjoyed my freedom but I missed Juliette. But as I became busier and more immersed in my new college life and friends, Juliette slowly started to become a less integrated part of my life and more of a memory.

 A happy memory, but a memory nonetheless.