Juliette

I had been on dates before, but those were in middle school where dating wasn't really a thing. I had also gone on one date my freshman year, but it turned out to be a dare on the guy's end, so there was never a second date. Nothing had come close to today. This wasn't a fancy dinner or a cliche movie date but it was so wonderful. I was so content sitting in the grass with Xander, listening to him crack dad jokes under the sun. It was perfect. He was perfect. This whole day was so entirely perfect. And it somehow got better when the sun went down.

    We drove a little out of Sunshine Grove, and pulled off the road by a field far enough where the lights from town wouldn't interfere with us seeing the stars. He pulled an amazing amount of blankets out of the back of his car and set up a perfect stargazing layout, brought a bag out of his car, and set it on the blankets, motioning for me to sit down. I sat and he pulled Capri-Suns and a package of Oreos out of the bag.

"Capri Suns? Are you kidding me?"

"Were they a bad idea?"

"I LOVE CAPRI SUNS"

"You had me worried! I thought you were allergic or something based on your reaction!"

"Nobody in the world is allergic to Capri Suns"

He laughed and lay down on the blankets. I continued sitting crisscrossed, but leaned back on my palms so I could look at the sky.

"Can you see the stars?"

"Nope."

"Did it really get that cloudy? That's so disappointing it was supposed to be clear all day"

He sat up, obviously upset that his plans were foiled. I leaned forward and kissed him on the cheek. He looked at me, a cheeky smile spread across his face.

"You missed."

"What's that?"

"You missed."

"Missed what?"

"Your target."

     When I was little, I thought kissing was the stupidest thing ever. I didn't get why they put so many kisses in movies and why it was such a big deal. It just didn't make sense to me. But when Xander kissed me? It made sense. Maybe one day we wouldn't spend so much time kissing under the stars but I sincerely hoped that day wasn't soon.

     Suddenly, I felt a raindrop on the back of my neck. Then another. Xander pulled back. "The blankets!" We hurriedly gathered up all the blankets and shoved them into the trunk of his car. The rain had slowly started coming down faster. When we had gotten everything safely and semi-dry into the car we rushed to the front seats. Xander was holding the snack bag as he shut his door and turned on the heater.

"Want a Capri Sun?" He asked, as water dripped down his face from his almost soaked hair. "When do I not want a Capri Sun?" I replied. 

     He reached into his bag and pulled out the Oreos, setting them on the dashboard. Then he flipped the bag over and I expected Capri Suns to fall over his lap but instead, nothing came out. I looked at him, grinning at the ridiculousness of the situation. "Did you leave them outside in the rain?' We simultaneously looked out our respective windows, straining to see the field through the dark and the rain and sure enough, there it was. A little cardboard Capri Sun box sitting where we had been no less than twenty minutes earlier, stuck in the downpour. "Rock Paper Scissors?" Xander asked.

"For what?"

"To see who goes out to get the Capri Suns."

"Oh, you're on."

     I lost. Xander celebrated my defeat by reaching over me and opening the door out into the rain. I stuck my tongue out at him and stepped out into the car. The rain wasn't coming down as hard as it looked like it was from inside Xander's car. I made the little adventure there and back from the field and walked around to the driver's side of the car. I knocked on the window and Xander looked up from his phone. He rolled down the window and I dropped the soaking Capri Sun box in his lap. He was smiling but I didn't understand why until I heard the song coming out of his radio. "Singing In The Rain" from one of my favorite movies. I stepped back from the window and spread my arms out, singing along to the music until he joined me, spinning me around and dancing in the rain.